Just purchased 93 KDX and am seriously worried

Got questions? We got answers....
Generalbob1313

Post by Generalbob1313 »

So I went to check out a 93 kdx and everything looked great. I loaded it up and brought it home, the second I got it off my truck the rear suspension started making a VERY loud creaking noise when I sit on it. This is my first dirt bike and I don't really know where to go from here.

Has anyone had this happen before? What are the possible causes? How could it be perfect during my test ride and then an hour later be doing this?

Thanks for any help, I don't have much money so if I just got burnt by this guy I'm going to be very upset.

Edit: in my tired state last night I put 95 when I really meant 93.
Last edited by Generalbob1313 on 04:36 pm Aug 12 2013, edited 2 times in total.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just purchased 95 KDX and am seriously worried

Post by kawagumby »

That creaking noise is usually dry bearing(s) in the rear suspension linkage. One of the first things to do with a newly -acquired used bike is go through the suspension linkage and swingarm bearings lubing and/or replacing as necessary. If you need new bearings, suspension bearing and swingarm bearing kits are pretty inexpensive from aftermarket outfits.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Generalbob1313

Re: Just purchased 95 KDX and am seriously worried

Post by Generalbob1313 »

Thanks for the reply.
Are these the only pieces I would need?
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/1993- ... earing-Kit
And
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/1993- ... EARING-KIT

Also how difficult is it to do yourself? Do you need any special tools beyond a mechanics tool set? I'm wondering about getting the rear spring compressed enough to put it back together. One last question, should I assume that the bearings are bad seeing as how loudly it is creaking, or should I inspect them first? With that how can you tell when one needs replacing.

Thanks in advance!!!!
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just purchased 95 KDX and am seriously worried

Post by pumpguy »

First of all, do you have a '93, or '95? They are different. Second, as advised so many times on this site, GET A MANUAL! Seriously, this is the most important tool you can get for your bike.

As far as doing the work changing the suspension bearings, it's not too difficult. The manual calls for special tools, but you can do the work without them. A search on this site will reveal all kinds of info on the subject. And lastly, no, you don't need to compress the spring to remove the shock; just loosen the bolts & it comes right out.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

a quick search for linkage bearing or swingarm will net you TONS of threads on the subject. Nothing more specialized than a vise or threaded rod and washers is needed to change them all. In addition to the two bearing kits you linked you'll need an upper shock mount bearing (always replace all of them together). The linkage on the KDX is perhaps the most abused/under maintained component on any dirt bike. While you have it all apart it wouldn't hurt to at a minimum bleed/refill/recharge the rear shock (better move would be to rebuild it, being a 93 it probably has never been done). As with any bike a lot of maintenance is needed to make up for neglect by POs, but luckily on a KDX its all easy and fairly cheap. As stated above...first purchase should always be a manual.
Generalbob1313

Post by Generalbob1313 »

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Sorry in advance, i know from being active on other forums that new users coming in and asking the same questions over and over can get annoying. I was just in a panic because i had owned the bike for about 1.5 hours, and it already had something go "wrong" with it.

Yes the bike is a 93, when i typed this on my ipad last night and didn't even notice the error :rolleyes: . I just purchased a 93 service manual off Ebay and it will be here Friday.

Do you just look for pitting or scrapes on the bearings to know if it needs replaced or do they usually just need lubricated?
bufftester wrote:Nothing more specialized than a vise or threaded rod and washers is needed to change them all.
Care to elaborate on that? Or will it make sense once i read how to do this in the service manual?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

check newb thread in my sig.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Just purchased 93 KDX and am seriously worried

Post by royadams »

Just look for the usual stuff, coloring, pitting and wear. You can you tube installing bearings with a threaded rod. Basics find a threaded rod long enough to go through one side of swing arm, a socket the size of the bearing and a socket the bearing can fit in to and a couple of washers. Put rod through washer, big socket, swing arm, small socket, and washer.put nuts on both sides and start cranking. Install opposite. Some times a little heat on the swing arm will help. Just make shure you never try to drive them in with a hammer.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

royadams wrote:Just look for the usual stuff, coloring, pitting and wear. You can you tube installing bearings with a threaded rod. Basics find a threaded rod long enough to go through one side of swing arm, a socket the size of the bearing and a socket the bearing can fit in to and a couple of washers. Put rod through washer, big socket, swing arm, small socket, and washer.put nuts on both sides and start cranking. Install opposite. Some times a little heat on the swing arm will help. Just make shure you never try to drive them in with a hammer.
On a side note, make sure you get the threaded rod that will fit through your socket drive end. If you are using a 3/8" socket then 1/2" threaded rod won't work. :wink: And the bigger the threaded rod is the better.
Generalbob1313

Post by Generalbob1313 »

Ok is is all really helpful. I can't thank you guys enough! I think I am going to like being a part of the kdx community :grin:.

It seems like you guys really suggest cleaning and jetting carbs as soon as you get the bike?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Cleaning the carb and seeing what is in there is a good start. But don't get your self to consumed with getting the jetting dialed in until you know that the rest of the bike is what it should be. Compression test, crank seals, air leaks on the intake. All of those things can make you chase your tail when trying to get the jetting right. After you know that all is good then go after the jetting. And being an E series you probably need some KIPS valves. Might as well get that checked out too.
Generalbob1313

Post by Generalbob1313 »

Does anyone have a suggestion for where to get the upper shock bearing?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

rmatv.com
Generalbob1313

Post by Generalbob1313 »

Just to be sure this is the only bearing set i would need for my rear shock?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/ ... earing-Kit

Thanks.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If you get the linkage bearing kit you linked above, then you don't need the whole shock bearing kit, just the upper bearing..I think you can get the OEM one by itself for about 20$.. if you get the linkage kit and the shock kit you'll end up with two lowers (I guess if you want a spare it's cool).