Just bought a KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
kyle_6722

Just bought a KDX

Post by kyle_6722 »

Hello, I just bought a 2003 kdx 200 over the weekend, put bark busters on it and went riding after changing the oil. After about a four hour ride I decided to drain the oil again and found microscopic pieces of metal in the oil. I pulled the clutch cover off and found that the friction plate fingers seem to have a bit of play between the basket, although the basket is not badly grooved nor is the clutch grabby. I will try new friction plates and change the oil a couple times in hopes that the metal will not return. Any other ideas where the metallic pieces would be coming from? Also, has anyone had any luck with the Tusk clutch kit sold by Rocky Mountain?

Kyle
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Just bought a KDX

Post by kawagumby »

If the metallic sheen is similar to metallic paint, i.e., tiny aluminum particles suspended in the oil, that is normal for these bikes.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Just bought a KDX

Post by scheckaet »

check newb thread in my sig
kyle_6722

Post by kyle_6722 »

Thanks for getting back to me, yes it is similar to metallic paint like you say. Are the clutch plates the usual suspect of the aluminum or something else? Also, does this do harm to transmission bearings among other parts?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

kyle_6722 wrote:Thanks for getting back to me, yes it is similar to metallic paint like you say. Are the clutch plates the usual suspect of the aluminum or something else? Also, does this do harm to transmission bearings among other parts?
Yes. And no. It is normal to have some metallic flake in the oil. You will need to get a feel for what is normal. I have changed my oil early and still had the flakes. It is usually the clutch that is adding the metal to the oil. That is why more frequent oil changes aren't a bad idea. If you are hard on a clutch then you will get more.