Think I've solved my long jetting nightmare.

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I posted a few times about a burbling bottom end that I just couldn't get rid of, and thought I'd fixed a few times. Each time, id clean my carb, and it would clean out for a few minutes. Well, yesterday I decided to give my 02 200 carb a good, solid cleaning once again. I found my pilot jet to have debris in it. I then rembered that I'd found debris in the pilot every time I've cleaned it. I took off my gas tank, and found no filters in the tank, plus rocks, grass, twig pieces, and dirt in there as well! I have it all cleaned out nicely, and ill pick up an inline filter tomorrow; if this cures my problem then it might help others to get on the right track.
2002 KDX 200
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Think I've solved my long jetting nightmare.

Post by diymirage »

goodie

there should be a small mesh filter on both pipes that come out of the petcock into the tank

are they missing?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

you can get also a small inline filter for 5 bux or so.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

No filters at all. When I found the pilot clogged for the fifth time I finally got wise that maybe it wasn't coincidence. Each time, it would run great for a couple minutes, then bog til 1/8 throttle. I went down to a 38 pilot and it seemed as rich as the 48 did as well. All this lead me to take a much closer look and do a much better cleaning job and include the tank and filters. That'll be on my list as "things to do first" from now on.
2002 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOWW!!!!

Glad you got it figured out.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Yeah, lol. If you remember I made the comment in my original thread about this problem that "....if I clean out my carb it runs fine for a few minutes.." Lol. I should've put 2+2 together right then and there. If I hadn't cleaned out the tanks on my new rm's I'd never have even considered the gas tank filters as a possibility. I'm assuming that my jetting woes are gone. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm starting out with a 45 pilot, 155 main, needle in 3rd clip and trying that out first. Least I won't be banging my head against the walls this time.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Nope. Still runs like crap. Except now it pops and sputters on the top end as well as being rich on the bottom. I'm thinking about just selling this Kdx since my rm runs so much better. I'm tired of chasing jetting with no improvement. I'd feel differently if I saw ANY improvement, but I've changed jets til I'm sick of it. With the 45 pilot, the airscrew needs 1 1/2 turns out- which sounds optimum; but it still runs ratty. Blubbers til right before half throttle, then cleans out. The 155 is too lean on top now as well.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Pours white smoke as it loads up too. Strong gas smell from the exhaust the whole time.
2002 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Which year and model KDX are you referring to?????????????????????????????????????

What is your altitude / temperature / humidity?

Have you checked your coolant level??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Coolant level good. 2002 kdx200. Doesn't burn crankcase oil. +700 feet altitude. 85 degrees. If I'm in fourth or fifth gear wide open, I can ease down to about 1/4 to 1/8 throttle and hear and feel it load up, and it'll start pouring whitish smoke and blubbering. I'm at wits end. When I first got the bike, the clip was in the very top position, stock jetting, and airscrew about 1/8 of a turn out, and ran about like it does now after everything I've done to it.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Would it help to dial in a little more idle speed? I have it set to barely idle?
2002 KDX 200
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

The smallest leak from the head gasket or crank seal will make it run terrible and could take a bit of run time to notice the level dropping. Crank seal is usually fairly cheap same with head gasket. You can pressure test the cooling system listening for leak from head gasket and you can pressure test the bottom end testing the crank seal.........never recommended but some people drain the two and run it briefly to see if it runs better...I don't recommend that I'd rather spend the money on the seal and gasket and find out they were fine
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Well. Today I added the airbox lid and snorkel, readjusted the airscrew, and it runs a whole lot better. Can't say its fixed, but I seem to get a lot closer to usable when I have it restricted with the lid and snorkel.
2002 KDX 200
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Have u tried cleaning the filter and re oiling
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Are you still seeing the white stuff on your slides after pulling carbs? there shouldn't be anything there if you cleaned the carbs. You said earlier you JB welded a possible crack in your case, but did you ever do a leak down test? compression isn't enough for a 2T since any air leak wreaks havoc and compression doesn't check the bottom end. Sounds as though its possible you have a bad crank seal . By putting the airbox lid back on you're just masking the problem by artificially richening the fuel charge. As has been said many times before, jetting needs to be done AFTER the rest of the bike is in good working order, otherwise you're just wasting time.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

No more white coating on the slide. It was that klotz filter oil. No longer use it. The thing in the case I jb welded was a machining mark and wasn't the seal showing through after all. I already thought of it lol. It damn near runs great after I installed the snorkel. Form that, I'd guess it was getting too much air for the jets I have in it, but that's a stretch to me. Tomorrow I'm putting in the original jets and removing the lid again for a baseline since I have forgotten how it ran when I first got it. I'm getting close though, and the cleaning DID do a lot of good.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Today I went 40 pilot, 158 main, needle in 2nd from top and airscrew 1 1/2 out. Ran great but had a blubbering , but in a higher part of the throttle. I then counter intuitively LOWERED the clip to second from BOTTOM and it nearly cleared it out! I think I've actually been lean rather than rich in the mid throttle. The bottom is cleaned up it seems. Tomorrow ill take it back to stock and start over changing one thing at a time till I've got it .
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Very positive update: I spent four hours this morning on the strip mine behind my house adjusting jetting. I first set my floats to a perfect 16mm. I then took the bike back to stock jetting with airbox lid installed. After working my way through 48, 45, 42, 40, and 38 pilots, I found 40 to be perfect. I left the clip alone And rode each jet for a circuit around my homemade track at varying speeds. I then dropped to a 158 main and my bike finally took on the kind of power delivery I rmber a 2 stroke to have: clean pickup and takes off like a jet on top. It stopped billowing white smoke to boot. I rode this setup for about an hour And done minor adjustments to the airscrew was all it took to compensate for the temp increase As the sun came up to its brightest. I could possibly lean out the needle a clip and help it further but I'm erring to caution and letting it be a tad rich. I feel this finally has me right.
2002 KDX 200
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

and all that without a chain :lol:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Lol. I have a link on it, but it has enough room between the plate and clip to shove a 2x4. I could've walked home easily where I did my testing. I've definitely got it dialed in btw. It runs awesome, finally. No bog, no smoke, no spooge, and nearly throws me off the back when I slam open the throttle. The rest of you guys probably know how that feels though :)
2002 KDX 200