520 master link too small?

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I threw a master link a couple weeks ago, and I've had a bi!ch of a time finding a new link to fit. I've spent about $20 on master links and half links in the 520 size and all of them have pins that are too short, or the plates aren't as thick as my stock chain. I tried a 520h link today and the pins are the same length but the plate is a hair thinner. This results in my clip having a small space behind it, and not snugging up to the plate. Is my chain just an odd size, or what?
2002 KDX 200
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 520 master link too small?

Post by diymirage »

I have one that I keep as a spare (brand new)
as long as you are not running an o-ring chain it should fit

shoot me a PM with your address and I will get it out to you

(just for the record, I got that spare because on day I lost my master link, a quick email to the vendor I bought the chain from and a few days later a new master link showed up in the mailbox)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

A lot of chains are different. Best to buy one from the same manufacturer. Some bike shops will carry a large selection of links that's were I would go if I could figure out the manufacturer.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Or, what shape is the chain in? Is it time for a new chain and sprockets? Might be easier to start new and get a spare or two when you get the chain if the old set is toward the end.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

My sprockets are basically brand new, and the chain was the same age I would imagine. Mirage, ill send you my address. I'm willing to try anything at this point. I have 9 master links and half links that are useless to me. I could've almost just bought a new chain at this point.
2002 KDX 200
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Back in the days before O ring chains, some guys would take a small strip of sheet metal (tin can stock) and place it between the clip and side plate, bending over the ends to act as a clip keeper. My O ring chain doesn't have room for this dodge, but it might be useful where there is room for this keeper strip to fit.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Good idea!
2002 KDX 200
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I bought a 520 master link on ebay once it was brand new and the pins were perfect size length and width but the plates were massive!

If a standard 520 link is too short you probably need an o ring link they have longer pins to accommodate the o rings
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

A 520 "H" link is the correct pin length, but the plate is still a hair thinner. I'm not running it til I find a suitable link. I may use the regular 520 chain off the rm125 I bought until I find one and buy a new chain in a regular size. God knows I have enough half links and master links for a standard 520 now.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Got the link in today, diymirage! It actually fits like my original link! I still don't understand why neither the 520 or 520H links I've bought are thinner than my chain, but this one is snug and takes out the play in the link that's been worrying me. Ill make a $5 donation to the site next Thursday when I get paid in your name mirage. Thanks again! The folks on this site are top-notch!
2002 KDX 200
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

glad to hear it
so now with a well jetted KDX with a chain on it there is NO stopping you
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Lol, I can't get the master link I put on it off! I guess it wouldn't have come loose anyway. Ill work on it tomorrow. I'm getting up, taking my kids to school , and riding til noon since I snuck and bought 5 gallons on gas today :) I've got some sloppy trails I've been wanting to ride, but they have a few hill climbs and I was afraid it would bog out going up one and cause me to reinjure my back. Now I can blip the throttle and motor on up.
2002 KDX 200