89 kdx rear fender replacement

Got questions? We got answers....
rumble700

Post by rumble700 »

can't find factory fender for 89 kdx. my fender is broken and stitched up a fair bit. UFO's or aftermarket fenders has a replacement fender with a light but its a big square lens(from i could find). i'd rather not have a big lens. 89 factory fender seems to be obsolete. Any other years that would bolt on or fit closely with mods to the fender? Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: 89 kdx rear fender replacement

Post by KDXohio »

I think I have black fender for the E series if your interested it has no tail light
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
rumble700

Post by rumble700 »

thanks much man but i almost got her ready for da road. Tryin to a factory one or similar to it. I just didn't want the ufo one with a big light on it cuz it dont seem to be all that pretty lol and shes mostly gonna be offroad anyway but when i travels back home its all dirt down there. she ll fit right in :)
Thanks for the offer though, appreciate it
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I don't follow. The stock fender has a big square tail light. The UFO replacement uses the same lens as the stock fender.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
rumble700

Post by rumble700 »

sorry my buddy but if it has a big square lens its aftermarket. i did find a stock fender though on kawasaki parts nation today. the stock fender has more of a rectangular tail light lens, and not bulky like the ufo one. my 89 looks like it has the same lens and fender as a 96 and an 04 kdx i ve seen and others that i looked up. Not sayin they r the same though.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The UFO is pretty close. The Acerbis may be a little closer. Unfortunately you don't have a lot of options. Frpoffroad used to carry one that uses the stock KDX lens. Fairly certain it was UFO, but possibly Maier. Not sure if they still have them, but it wouldn't hurt to email and ask.

rumble700

Post by rumble700 »

yes the fenders r close but the smaller stock lens is what i'm aiming for and i'll double check these suppliers for sure, thanks.
i got another question for ya. There is different models of kdxs? what the difference? i thought there was just one model with different size engines.
thanks
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

There have been several models of kdx over the years. Your e series kdx was produced in the US from 89-94. The H series 200 replaced it in 95, and sported many changes, including engine design and an all new perimeter frame. The 220 was released in 97. Identicle to the 200, but with larger displacement, smaller 33mm carb, and an o-ring chain stock. Older air cooled models included displacements of 80, 125, 175, 250, 400, and 420. There was also a watercooled 250 from 89-94.

rumble700

Post by rumble700 »

yes by cool. im not even sure what mine is. my buddy got a 04 220 kdx and there didn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between all those yrs. well obvisiously there were changes like u said and nicer headlight lol. mine is a 89 kdx 200 liquid cooled with lights also. how would i know what mine is and whats the e and h 200s?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Your 89 is an E-1. First year of the watercooled 200.Single down tube frame, as opposed to your buddies perimeter framed 220. The 220 was A series, but are exactly the same chassis as the H series 200s. As I mentioned above, the H series was released in 95, and replaced the E series.

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

This http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/UFO-R ... ight-Green is an exact replica fender for KDX's from 89-94. The tail light lens looks "big" because of the pictures, but it is the same as the one on my bike.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
rumble700

Post by rumble700 »

thanks 6 riders i guess i ll have to go with a ufo one cuz i bought the oem one from kawasaki parts nation and then they refunded me a day or so after. i did this a couple different times now with companies say they can get it but turns out they can't and refunds me. Like i figured u'd be able to buy a stock fender somewhere.
thanks julien for the info. I'm stuck on an oil rig and the job is goin slow. so i'm after looking at a nice few of posts and it seems u r pretty knowledgeable about the kdxs.