Rad guard? a plus or minus?

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Rad guard? a plus or minus?

Post by Ryan »

hi, i can get some msr rad guards for $27. I was wondering if it is worth it. I already have slightly damaged radiators and do not want them to get worse. Also do they restric some of the airflow and become a problem or are they fine?? thanks.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They work well... and don't block enough air flow to matter....at least on mine.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
OverTheHill
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by OverTheHill »

Has anyone tried the Devol Extreme Radiator Guards? They are more expensive, around $70, and they mount to the frame for side impact.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Those do block air flow... at least that is what I have heard.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

so you have msr rad guards and they work good? And if my riight rad is bashed in a little will theu still mount??
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mine are and work fine.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

The Works Connection Rad braces are the best insurance for side impact. They do a good job of reinforcing the side of the rads. (most often damaged by tip over crashes). Unless you really have a problem with someone else roosting big ass rocks into the front of your rads the stock plastic gaurds are more than up to the task of protecting the frontal fins.
03 220R
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

how much are they new?? the msr ones?? and what rad fluid do you use at what ratio?? thanks
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

I'll second FLAKDX. I have more problems with dropping the bike in the rocks, than getting the front of the rads speared, so I have the WC braces and use the stock plastic louvers. They are solid.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Do a search its been covered many times already. Does that sound like a familiar response ?? :rolleyes: DRN ???

Just buy the premixed stuff. Just pour it in as is. I use Motul. If you overheat try Evans NG+ I beleive its called. Or theres also Water Wetter but not as good as Evans (or so I have read anyway).

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

I have Devol guards on my KDX and WP on my KX. I kind of like the Devol better- have never noticed them blocking the airflow (that is, the radiator has only boiled once on me). In the woods, I'm thinking more of sticks and branches than roost.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

how can you tell if the rad is boiling??
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

By the uncontrolable jet of steam and green stuff spewing out your overflow tube.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You'll hear it boiling when you come to a stop.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well do you guys know how much the msr guards are new, cause i mainly want them for slight protection and resale.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Dude... you put the cost in your original post! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:shock: Image :lol:

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

no those are how much i have to pay for used ones, im wondering how much they are used. :naughty:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

>|<>QBB<
kdx220freak wrote:no those are how much i have to pay for used ones, im wondering how much they are used. :naughty:
For used, since you asked about used in this post, from the best I can tell, they are running around $27 used. :mrgreen: Just look on http://www.denniskirk.com, http://www.rockymountainmc.com or some place like that for the new price, if that is what you meant.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
kdx220freak wrote:no those are how much i have to pay for used ones, im wondering how much they are used. :naughty:
You'd best be asking the seller how much 'use' they have had if thats what you mean. :grin: :partyman:

EDIT.. OH I see what you mean.... I think... :?