Fuel mixture question

Got questions? We got answers....
knowledge seeker

Fuel mixture question

Post by knowledge seeker »

Would it harm the engine or performance if I rejet my son's '06 200 to 50:1 instead of the current 32:1?. The reason being is I can get a pretty good deal on Amsoil Dominator & I'm told is formulated for a 50:1 mixture?. Perhaps it would help to lessen the smoke & the spooge out of the silencer. Can I get some opinions?

Roger
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Fuel mixture question

Post by Julien D »

I am not personally comfortable going less than 40:1, but to each their own.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Fuel mixture question

Post by scheckaet »

I am using the same one at 40:1. just jet it properly and you won't have any problem.
check sig for how to jet.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Fuel mixture question

Post by scheckaet »

and don't jet by amount of spooge or smoke. do it right the 1st time by following the tutorial.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Fuel mixture question

Post by Slick_Nick »

You can absolutely jet to 50:1 properly. Don't forget, not all oils are the same at 50:1. Most people freak out when they see a ratio that "thin" for oil. What they don't realize is that the oil manufacturer has designed the oil to be run at that ratio. It protects just as good as a lesser oil at say a 32:1 ratio. If the oil brand specifies that it can be run at 50:1, rejet for that and you'll have no issues.
'00 KDX 220R
knowledge seeker

You know guys, I failed to do a search for this topic before I started this thread & it seems that the way you ride it has to do with the mix ratio you use. This bike is a KX-KDX hybrid & is used mostly for mx. I mean my son rides it really hard to the stops so I see why the posts i read in my search stated the higher rpm the more oil you need for lubrication. Too bad 'cause I have a chance to get Amsoil Dominator synthetic oil at about $8/quart.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Fuel mixture question

Post by rbates9 »

You can still use that oil at 40:1. That is what I use and at 40:1. Jetting will get it running good. But you should re jet (check it anyway) after any changes like that.

Think of the 2 stroke oil like laundry detergent. They have cheap stuff that you need to use more of, and then there is better stuff that you can use less of to get the same results. And if you put in a little too much of the better stuff it won't hurt anything.
knowledge seeker

Do you mean you're using 40:1 ratio or Amsoil Dominator synthetic or both?.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

He is running the same oil at 40:1. Just because the manufacturer states it is designed for 50:1 doesn't mean you can't run it at any other ratio. Amsoil at 40:1 will be more than good enough (even for a bike being flogged at the MX track by a teenager :grin: ). I run 40:1 in my KX/KDX Hybrid (Not Amsoil) and ride very hard at the track and a lot of high speed desert and have never had an issue. Just make sure you rejet properly for the mix then stick with it.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I run amsoil at 40:1 as well
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Ditto. amsoil dominator/interceptor 40:1.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

I like running it 37.85 to 1
that way I need 100 ML of oil per every gallon of gas
I have a 350 ML water bottle that I keep full of oil in the fenderbag
that way, when I run the tank dry I can stop in at a gas station and know I have enough oil for a full tank

as for the smoke/spooge, smoke is usually fine (both my bikes smoke like oceanliners) but spooge is a jetting issue (neither of my bikes spooge, period)
so decide on an oil and ratio and go through your jetting process again
keep in mind that if a bike is producing a lot of spooge it will take a long time to get that out off the system, so if you do not clean out the pipe properly before you rejet the bike it will seem like it is still spooging even after you rejet it
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

diymirage wrote:as for the smoke/spooge, smoke is usually fine (both my bikes smoke like oceanliners) but spooge is a jetting issue (neither of my bikes spooge, period)
so decide on an oil and ratio and go through your jetting process again
keep in mind that if a bike is producing a lot of spooge it will take a long time to get that out off the system, so if you do not clean out the pipe properly before you rejet the bike it will seem like it is still spooging even after you rejet it
+1
knowledge seeker

Thanks a lot guys!