transmission fluid and sticky gear shift

Got questions? We got answers....
GoJarvis!

Post by GoJarvis! »

HI all,

I got a 1994 KDX 200 about a month ago and have a good amount of riding. when I got it, the guy told me to change the tranny fluid every 5 to 10 hours max. I kept that thought in the back of my mind thinking I'd be able to find what type it took and find time to get some before I got over 10 hours on it. Is the 5 to 10 hours between changes too often or not enough?
Also, what kind of tranny fluid should I use without bleeding my wallet to death?

Something else I noticed is the gear shift is very stiff. I assume that's not normal for this bike because the other bikes I've ridden had nice, smooth shifting. Is it stiff because of the type of tranny fluid or do I need to put a new type of clutch fluid in the bike?

any and all comments would be appreciated!
thanks.
robertotjr

Re: transmission fluid and sticky gear shift

Post by robertotjr »

10 hours is way too often. I can ride that much in one day!
I do it every 1000km(600mi), and use Motul Transoil Expert.
1995 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The time between oil changes will greatly depend on how you ride and what you use for oil.

I won't say that you need to use a certain oil or change it at a set time but I can say with my bike I use Type F ATF and change it when the shifting gets bad. I can tell by the feel of the shifting when it is ready to be changed. Sometimes it is after four or five hours and other times it is after 20 or so. I have not noticed any real color change to the oil when it needs to be changed, maybe a little darker. And I get very little metal in the oil. Just the typical slight silver swirl in the right light.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

+1 on tranny fluid (NOT THE "BAD HOOKER" TYPE)...I use a pretty expensive trans fluid and change it when a) the water seal goes or b)when the shifting gets "hard". I have put plenty of miles (kM if you prefer) on my bike w/in a "season" and haven't had a problem yet.

A side note..I change my oil (in my vans) somewhere between 7500 and 10000....because that is what the owners manual REALLY says to do....and I have almost 400,000 on my "beater" van.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

check my sig
GoJarvis!

Post by GoJarvis! »

ok thanks!

since its a 2 stroke will ATF hurt it?
only asking cuz I thought 4 strokes shared tranny fluid with the clutch and don't know if 2 strokes do the same...
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

ATF Auto Transmission Fluid which is essentially a wet clutch so no it won't hurt nothing. Some KDX don't like it as much as regular cheapo 10w40 so try it and see how your bike likes it. may take a few oil change to make a difference.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

GoJarvis! wrote:ok thanks!

since its a 2 stroke will ATF hurt it?
only asking cuz I thought 4 strokes shared tranny fluid with the clutch and don't know if 2 strokes do the same...
Most four strokes also share their trans oil with the rotating assemblies as well ATF is not a good choice for them. ATF is suitable for a 2 stroke gear case if you look at an average automatic transmission the clutches are very similar having multiple plates. The oil is not only formulated for lubrication but it's also a hydraulic oil which means nothing to what we're talking about here. Type F fluid has friction modifiers in it and will have less clutch slip than standard ATF years ago people would put Type F in theirs transmissions instead of a shift kit. PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS NEWER TRANSMISSIONS WILL BE RUINED VERY QUICKLY! <-- sorry had to say that in case anyone got curious.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Also ATF is a very high detergent oil so it will clean out your old worn out seals so it's sometimes better to just stick with the manufactures recommended oil unless you're ok with replacing your seals which isn't that difficult
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Used mobil 1 ATF fluid once but didn't like the feel and how it shifts on the first three gears so I change back to belray gear saver 80w. Don't get me wrong ATF will work but for me belray works better.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
GoJarvis!

Post by GoJarvis! »

Ok so, do I want friction modifiers or not?
"indawoods" said:
Indawoods wrote:The safest answer is 10w-40 motor oil designed for 4 stroke bikes since they share the motor and clutch oil. It works well for me.....

Some use Automatic transmission oil.... I haven't had much luck with it. Hard shifting for me.

Try avoiding automotive oils since they mostly contain friction modifiers and will cause your clutch to slip. The industry has gotten lax on labeling oils with these modifiers because they are becoming the norm instead of the exception.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

You absolutely don't want a standard motor oil if using a 10w40 or 80w gear oil it needs to say motorcycle on it or be bought from your local bike shop as far as ATF type f is what you would you want. My opinion just go to your local bike shop and get something from them its your safest bet
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I personally run 80w typically gold spectro or belray depending on price and availability
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

KDXohio wrote:You absolutely don't want a standard motor oil if using a 10w40 or 80w gear oil it needs to say motorcycle on it or be bought from your local bike shop as far as ATF type f is what you would you want. My opinion just go to your local bike shop and get something from them its your safest bet
Meh. Cheap ol' Rotella 10w40 works great, as will most other inexpensive oils which do not have the "energy conserving" label.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Julien D wrote:
KDXohio wrote:You absolutely don't want a standard motor oil if using a 10w40 or 80w gear oil it needs to say motorcycle on it or be bought from your local bike shop as far as ATF type f is what you would you want. My opinion just go to your local bike shop and get something from them its your safest bet
Meh. Cheap ol' Rotella 10w40 works great, as will most other inexpensive oils which do not have the "energy conserving" label.
+1