best way to...

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

best way to...

Post by scheckaet »

I wan to start a new series of post for "best way to..." and get y'all input.
I'll compile the most useful comments (or consensus if we can't all agree on what is best) and add this to the newb thread.

Let's start with best way to clean carb:
take it apart (duh...)
DO NOT SOAK the carb in... berryman? (same with WD40, it makes orings swell)
(please tell me which product it is, I can't recall the name)
Why? There are a couple of o rings that are inside the carb and they will get destroyed.
Those can be replaced but are a pain to get to and it's 99% of the time not necessary to replace them.
jets, needles, gasket and oring can be found here
http://www.jetsrus.com/
bikebandit.com
ronayers.com
servicehonda.com

note what size jets you have, now might be a good time to re-jet your bike.
I use carb cleaner and compressed air to clean all the jets (removed from the block), passages in the carb and all hoses.
Some say you can clean the jets with dental floss and guitar string to get the gunk out (especially for carb that have been sitting un-used for a long time)
Go easy with the guitar string, you don't want to resize the jets.

On reassembly go finger tight on the jets.
Note: the 4 screw holding the bowl of the carb are made of butter and are really easy to strip the head, you can get a replacement set from
http://www.rb-designs.com/
or find some allen head at the local hardware store if you're lucky.
Don't over-tight them.

Any thing I forgot? suggestion?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: best way to...

Post by KDXGarage »

AWESOME IDEA! There are many time tested ideas.

The "don't soak the carb" part is actuall an early '90's Kawasaki K-Tech dealer info item. I have seen Berryman's as a brand around here.

On where to get jets, don't forget www.sudco.com.

For me, I would cautiong against any kind of wire inside a jet.

Did anyone ever find out if the bowl screws were JIS screws instead of Phillips??

Suspension linkage maintenance is a common item.
Suspension rebuilding is an often not done maintenance item.

This could be 100 items. :grin:

Maier MX fender or get to hacking??

Again, good thread.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The bowl screws ARE JIS, as are most of the small fasteners on Japanese bikes. You can tell by looking at the screw head, if there is a little dot imprinted it is a JIS. Though Phillips and JIS look the same, they aren't. A little OT reading here http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... ewdrivers/.

For the carb thread...disassemble the carb and spray with carb cleaner followed by compressed air. I would never advise using anything hard to clean jets, the brass is easily damaged. Don't soak as you said. And replace the bowl screws with allen heads (I think they are 5x16?).
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

best way to...

Post by scheckaet »

Can't get the tank off?
The nuts just kept turning?

This is one way I've heard some members tried with success.
With a screwdriver on your drill : spin the bolt, the plastic of the tank will eventually melt around the nut and you'll be able to separate nut from bolt, then pull the tank out.
Once the tank is removed, you can epoxy the nut back in the tank (some cleaning of the "melted" area might be necessary).
Good to go!

Any other ways?
ukkdx200

Post by ukkdx200 »

bufftester wrote:For the carb thread...disassemble the carb and spray with carb cleaner followed by compressed air. I would never advise using anything hard to clean jets, the brass is easily damaged. Don't soak as you said. And replace the bowl screws with allen heads (I think they are 5x16?).
definate! I had read how bad they were but took mine off today, sorry completly round them and then had to use pliers on the outside of them! ordered some allen heads as you suggested above! nice one!