Linkage play

Got questions? We got answers....
vlxk98

Linkage play

Post by vlxk98 »

While waiting for some house paint to dry this weekend I decided I would button up the back end of my 95 200.
I had discovered the previous owner for some reason had chnaged the wheel spacers to just short lengths of tubing. They were correct length and OD, but just didn't look right to me.

I bought the OEM spacers and got everything all set. So, I'm tightening the axle and notice some slop in the initial travel of the linkage. I then squirmed around and determined the slop is in the forward bearing. All bolts were tight.

By the way, if you haven't tried it, the linkage will come out without tearing the bike apart. Anyway, pulled the linkage and checked the bearings. The bearings looked just like they did last winter when I had them apart for service. No discolor, plenty of grease etc. I went ahead and cleaned them up a bit and packed them full of freash grease and reassembled.

Same slop upon reassembly...what the duece!!! :neutral:

At this point I consulted my manual which states there will be a "small amount" of slack in the linkage. It goes on to say to watch for "excessive" play and then repair/replace as needed.

So the main question to this ramble is, what is a "small amount" of play? I didn't measure the play at the axle but I would say it is roughly 10mm or so.

Thanks for any insight
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Linkage play

Post by pumpguy »

I experienced the same symptoms, and have the same questions.

My theory is the "play" is an accumulation of clearances in the linkage bearings, magnified by the length of the swing arm's radius.

Anybody else have any comments?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: Linkage play

Post by KarlP »

A little play in the linkage plays hell with suspension performance, especially over the small stuff. You can put the bike up on a stand and find out where the play is coming from. I usually find it is the lower shock bearing that goes first.
The front bearings sometimes seem to have a little slop in them because the ears on the frame are bent out a bit. You really have to bear down on that bolt to clamp the inner race completely.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Linkage play

Post by pumpguy »

I understand the effect looseness or play has on suspension performance. That's why I was concerned until I read what the manual said on the subject. In my case, all bearings are new, or known to be in good condition, with fresh waterproof grease, and torqued to manual specs. I'm disappointed the play is still there, but the manual says it's normal.

If anyone has been able to eliminate this play, I'd sure like to know how they did it.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If all your linkage bearings were good then check both the upper and lower shock mounts, and especially the dogbones, which is where I've seen issues with most KDX rear ends.. Ensure that their ID is in spec. Any play in the rear suspension linkage will prematurely wear your bearings quickly. With my bike up on the stand, at the axle I get maybe <1mm of movement. 10 mm is half an inch, and that means something isn't right.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

If anyone has been able to eliminate this play, I'd sure like to know how they did it.
I've eliminated it several times. It tends to come back, because I usually just think about lubing those bearings but never do it. Nine months to a year of pretty heavy use and everything is shot again.

The lower shock bearing goes first. The forward one that is held by the frame ears can be problematic if you don't get the ears clamped onto the inner race good.

I realy think you need to figure out where the movement is coming from.

I can't comment on what the manual says. Maybe a "small amount" of play is a couple of mm. It sure is nice for a couple of months when there isn't any!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy