What's it worth?

Got questions? We got answers....
SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

What's it worth?

Post by SOARSKI »

I rode it once last summer, not at all this summer. Hard to find people to ride with! I've put more time into the mods than I did riding it. It's a nice, maintained bike(I relubed all the bearings that I could find), adult ridden by a very amateur rider:), casual woods riding. Unless my 9 and 11 yr old boys show interest in riding(would make a great chaser bike), I'm considering selling my beloved bike. The bike was nice when I got it. All stock except head light and the exhaust.

SO WHAT'S IT WORTH?

2004 KDX 200
-DynaRing Auto Clutch($300)
- V-Force III Reeds
-RB carb mod with hand mixture screw and float bowl allen screw kit
-RB Head mod
-Inverted Forks
-03' KX 125 inverted forks
-BRP upper triple clamp
-forks revalved and sprung by MX Tech, 220 lbs rider($550)
-RB stem swap and spacer
-rear spring(black) for 220 lb. rider
-FMF torque pipe, FMF turbine core II silencer
-E-Line carbon fiber pipe guard
-Probend bar guards that connect to triple clamps
-Protaper oversized bars
-Tires have excellent tread(maybe four rides on them)
- Service Manual, major receipts, manuals for auto clutch, fork tuning
-I have all the original parts, forks, front wheel, extra head etc., I don't have an original carb or exhaust.
-head light needs rewiring at the bulbs, the clamp at the light switch is broke.
-I have some small extras to go along with the bike since I would be giving up riding altogether.

Some other Items I may sell separately are.

-extra frame $?
-96' KX500 inverted forks with triple clamp, tubes scratch free. I think these are 43 mm. I think if I did my fork mod over I would have used these instead of the larger 02 KX 125 46 mm forks. I think these are a direct bolt on? I've got front wheel also but not sure if it is the KX 500 or the 125 wheel. When I was doing my front forks I was finding many of the parts were compatible and used what I thought was looked best. What can I get for the forks?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: What's it worth?

Post by diymirage »

best way to find out what it is worth is going on your local craigslist and comparing KDX that are on there
see what they are going for, what mods they have and adjust accordingly

but honoustly, I would go into the "riding" part of the forum and look for buddies there
or just head out by yourself and make nice with the others you meet at the parking lot

I went out riding this morning and after the first look I met up with 5 other guys who were just about to head out so I went with them
my eyes still hurt from all that orange (4 out of 5) :doh:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

What's it worth?

Post by rbates9 »

When it comes to bikes in general they are only worth what some one will pay you for it. It may be "worth" $2500, $3000, or what ever the upgrades add up too but depending on the area it might only sell for $1500. Like DIY said, check craigslist to get a starting point. Also check how long the bikes have been on there for what they are asking for them. I have seen pretty good looking KDX's around here sit on craigslist for months at $1100.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Probably the best way to recoup your investment is to return the bike to as close as possible to stock with whatever stock parts you may still have, and sell the upgrade pieces separately from the bike.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Julien D wrote:Probably the best way to recoup your investment is to return the bike to as close as possible to stock with whatever stock parts you may still have, and sell the upgrade pieces separately from the bike.
+1
Be patient and you'll eventually find a guy that will pay a good price for it, seems you have a really nice bike, somebody will eventually be interested.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

you know, I had a KDX for sale for a very fair price for several months and no real interest
so I ended up deciding my 15 year old nephew was old enough to start riding :lol:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

What's it worth?

Post by scheckaet »

I sold 2 KDX.
One sat for over a year, had a lot of extra goodies (pipe, silencer, kx front end, ims tank, ims frame guard, barkbusters...). sold it for 1500
The 2nd I sold was just about stock with rebuilt engine (220 grenaded engine) it sat about 2 months and sold it for 1700
Go figure.
Just be patient and you'll find a good home for it without losing too much money (if any)
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

My vote is to keep it, whenever I have sold bikes I have lost money, and have ended up with another anyway (if not two).

Do your kids have dirt bikes? They might have more interest if one was sitting there.

Ask around at a bike shop about open ride days at tracks, or go and watch at races. That can spark a kid's interest, too. The woods racing people have been very friendly to me. Talk to people at events and you will gain friends and riding buddies.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250