KDX220 Dual Sport.

Got questions? We got answers....
Durango

KDX220 Dual Sport.

Post by Durango »

New to Colorado and I see a lot of guys around with dual sports. I brought my modified 02 KDX220 and am looking forward to exploring the area.(some back country trout fishing as well :wink:) Has anyone turned one of these bikes into a dual sport?
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: KDX220 Dual Sport.

Post by KDXohio »

Laws vary from state to state on what it takes to be street legal but a set of dual sport tires and functioning turn signals and brake light is a good start. Probably need a pair of mirrors too. Here in Ohio anything pre 99 that's never been titled you can get an out of state inspection done then go to the BMV for titling and their system doesn't know a kdx from a ninja it just says motorcycle so you're given the option of on or offroad title without further inspection. Obviously still good to check out the laws so you're not immediately pulled over GOOD LUCK! :rolleyes:
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

KDX220 Dual Sport.

Post by pumpguy »

From an equipment standpoint, probably the biggest obstacle is the output of the lighting coil. It's only 40 w, just enough for the stock lights, not including a stoplight, which is the first requirement for road legal equipment. This site has info on rewinding the coil for more output, and a web search will uncover higher output coils you can buy.

One way around this is a rechargeable battery which you can use to power stop light and horn. Just make sure it has a full charge before you go out for a ride. Don't know if your state requires turn signals. My state, Illinois, fortunately for me, does not.

From a legal standpoint, if you only have a C/O, getting a road legal title so you can plate it to ride on the road may be a big hassle. Each state is different. Some states let you get an inspection, while others make it just about impossible. Good luck with your conversion.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

mine is plated, don't know what it took since I bought it that way
I do know that for the first 6 months I owned it it was like driving a powdered donut around

not that I've met most of the police officers around here I don't get pulled over that often anymore but keep in mind your riding what looks and sounds like a dirtbike that doenst belong on the road

depending on how strict the laws are there you may get by with just rewinding the stator (I do) if you replace the tail light with LED versions you should have enough wattage to run a decent headlight

if you are adding a LED taillight anyway you should also look into a license plate frame, when I first got my bike the plate was mounted to the rear fender and cops kept telling me they couldn't read it when riding behind me
I tried popping wheelies to show them the plate but that wasn't appreciated either
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Durango

Post by Durango »

diymirage wrote: it was like driving a powdered doughnut around
Love the analogy!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KDX220 Dual Sport.

Post by rbates9 »

You will also want to consider how you want to ride the bike. A KDX will not make a great street bike for any type of long trip. To get around town and back and forth from the trails is one thing but to get a KDX to handle well on the road will diminish the off road capabilitys of it in trade.

(Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong. I have had my KDX on the street and it was fun. For a little while.)
Durango

KDX220 Dual Sport.

Post by Durango »

rbates9 wrote: To get around town and back and forth from the trails
Yep that is it. From home to town to trail. More trail then anything.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

yeah, both of my KDXs will top 70 but its not very comfy and definitely not something you'd want to do for any length of time
but when it comes to "sprinting" from traffic light to traffic light :lol:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike