Seat cover

Got questions? We got answers....
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Seat cover

Post by pumpguy »

I have found that an ordinary spring powered staple gun is not up to the job. I tried an electric powered staple gun, and that didn't do it either. I was told you really need an air powered staple gun for this job. In the end, I had a local upholstery shop do mine.
KDXrider1989

Re: Seat cover

Post by KDXrider1989 »

or say if I didnt like the gripper and wanted to go back to stock, where would I find a decently priced stock cover? bike bandit doesn't seem to list one, just the entire seat
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

EBay has a lot of vinyl covers that would be the same as stock
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Thrahl

Seat cover

Post by Thrahl »

pumpguy wrote:I have found that an ordinary spring powered staple gun is not up to the job. I tried an electric powered staple gun, and that didn't do it either. I was told you really need an air powered staple gun for this job. In the end, I had a local upholstery shop do mine.
I used a cheapo "heavy duty" spring gun and have recovered 4 different seats no problem. You have to push with a fair amount of force but most importantly you have to have long enough staples. If you have really short staples it's hard to drive them in all the way. I use 8mm ones for single thickness and 10mm if I double the material over (like in a corner). 4 out of 5 staples go in no problem.

I don't know what a shop would charge but if you can get them to do it for $10-15 then that's probably worth it for someone who doesn't already have a gun and staples.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Seat cover

Post by pumpguy »

Hmmm... Maybe my seat pan was harder than most? No matter what I tried, with spring or electric staple guns, the staples would only go in about half way. Kind of a bummer actually; I bought the electric gun specifically for this seat cover job.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Seat cover

Post by diymirage »

Thrahl wrote: I used a cheapo "heavy duty" spring gun and have recovered 4 different seats no problem. You have to push with a fair amount of force but most importantly you have to have long enough staples.

just make sure the staples aren't too long or it would make for a rather uncomfortable ride :razz:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Seat cover

Post by rbates9 »

diymirage wrote:
Thrahl wrote: I used a cheapo "heavy duty" spring gun and have recovered 4 different seats no problem. You have to push with a fair amount of force but most importantly you have to have long enough staples.

just make sure the staples aren't too long or it would make for a rather uncomfortable ride :razz:

Extra grip gripper. :shock:
tirebiter

Seat cover

Post by tirebiter »

I used Allsport 4 way stretch vinyl in "High Tac black" when I redid my seat. It comes 54" wide X how may yards you order. Stuff really stretches, lets you get your seat cover nice & tight.
One yard will do approx. 3 seats, depending on the size of the seats & and how much you allow for waste.
I picked up an air stapler that shoots T50's at Orchard for under 30 bucks, I used 1/4" long staples.
DO NOT use a narrow head stapler, the seat material will rip right out thru the staple.
Air is the way to go, screwing around with a hand stapler is just too much hassle.
The High tac is real grippy, just so you know.
http://www.yourautotrim.com/al4stvi.html

If I can't do it, I'm sure someone else can!
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Seat cover

Post by pumpguy »

Great post! Wish I had this info last year when I redid mine.

Hopefully this will benefit others.
supermess

Post by supermess »

I like my guts seat cover
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Wow I didn't think the topic would be this successful! Thanks for all the input time to do some shopping around
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
tirebiter

Post by tirebiter »

supermess wrote:I like my guts seat cover
Funny you should mention that, that's a Guts seat cover on the Berg in the back round..
If I can't do it, I'm sure someone else can!