KDX250 should I buy?!

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXohio
Supporting Member

KDX250 should I buy?!

Post by KDXohio »

I need to be convinced to buy this bike! I love my 1990 200 I know nothing about the 250s. So heres the story I have been given the oppertunity to buy a 1990 KDX250 for 200$ cosmetically it looks pretty good has an fmf expansion chamber everything else seems stock but im going off of 1 crappy picture of the right side/front. So here's the bad owner says it need crank seals, and piston/cylinder sleeved none of that is a big deal to me but I want to hear some opinions on the 250 and what value it may have after repaired even though I never sell my projects.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX250 should I buy?!

Post by KDXGarage »

If I may, kind sir, what amount of cash do you think it will take to get the engine back to proper condition? This does not mean all of the other problems the bike will have.

I have seen a TON of posts like yours over the years, so I am just trying to get some insight into how others think on bikes of this level of damage / disrepair.

Thank you.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Thats also part of what im trying to figure out I know re-plating is very expensive a re-sleeve my be equally as expensive Ive not yet had to do either an entire engine oil seal kit and gasket kit usually runs about 60$+ piston kit 80$.....
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Unless your riding open terrain the 250 is not that good in the woods. I put a small fortune in mine then scraped the frame and built a hybrid. I probably have around $3500 in mine now, not bad for a $1500 bike.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

thank you sir that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for I know that some models vary a lot in review from different sizes so I love my 200 but maybe the 250 sucks thanks for the input! I'm slowly turning into a Kawi guy! I have hated the suzuki's ive owned and have mixed emotions with honda I love them when I don't have problems. Never had problems with my Kawi's
Thrahl

Post by Thrahl »

I learned my lesson buying cheap project bikes. I bought my '89 200 for $350 thinking I would only need to put $250 or so into it. But as you start disassembling and going further in to the bike things start popping up. In the end I ended up having to spend around $1000 plus a ton of my time and effort to get the bike restored.
You are getting the bike for $200 and you know AT MINIMUM it needs ~$400-500 (assuming the crank is good). Plus you are definitely going to run in to other issues that need fixed so go ahead and add another $200 or so for random expenses (if you are lucky), and your total is coming out to somewhere around $800-900 plus a lot of your time and effort. For that much money you can just go buy a running bike that needs only minor repair.

For a $200 bike with a blown engine, I wouldn't get it for anything other than parts.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Just sucks in single track, which is what I ride. On high speed stuff it is as stable as it gets. I imagine in the desert or fire roads it would be nice. The engine is great, and in the rm chassis it is a single track beast. I do have alot in it that drove the price through the roof. All new plastic, seat, chain, sprockets, auto clutch, flexx bars, cables, bearings, steering stableizer, pipe and silencer, and went through entire engine. i could never recoupe my investment, but i replaced every wearable part and pretty much have a brand new bike that should last a long time, if i can keep it out of the trees. Thats allready cost me a new front end. All i need now is a gas tank, i would like an oversized one but i am afraid it won't fit.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Being that I really want a KDX250 to tinker on, I would have to jump on it for 200 as long as the bike is complete. Seeing as how you have another bike, you can do the work on this one a bit more slowly and not spend a pile of cash all at once. Get the motor squared away, replace any bearings/bushings, etc. Hard to say what you'll have in it when done, but probably 1 - 2k. That's not much to me for a solid running and freshly rebuilt bike.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Julien D wrote:Being that I really want a KDX250 to tinker on, I would have to jump on it for 200 as long as the bike is complete. Seeing as how you have another bike, you can do the work on this one a bit more slowly and not spend a pile of cash all at once. Get the motor squared away, replace any bearings/bushings, etc. Hard to say what you'll have in it when done, but probably 1 - 2k. That's not much to me for a solid running and freshly rebuilt bike.

That is a very good point on already having a bike to ride. If it was to be an only bike, then SKIP IT. I would buy it in an instant.

On any blown up bike, I budget $2,000 to get it all rebuilt fully, assuming major pieces are in good condition (frame, subpipe/subframe, swingarm, transmission, fork and shock (beyond normal wear), etc. )
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ArkAngel

Post by ArkAngel »

Hi KDXohio

I was in the same boat as u about 3 days ago.. i have a 1988 KDX 200 and i love the bike it goes like a charm.
My friend wanted to sell his KDX250 1991 model for about R6000 ( about $600 ) and it was not running.
I have spent now R300 ($30) and i got it running.. im going to need to spend about R2000 ( $200) and then the bike will be running great.
But this is all going to be happening over the next few months because R2000 is a lot of money in South Africa.

So my advice to you is buy it if u can keep your old bike and fix it up over time and that way u wont loose any time riding because u have your old bike.
You will also get advice from people on this form and they are always willing to help with any questions that you might have.
KDX 200
KDX 250
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

KDX250 should I buy?!

Post by bufftester »

KDXohio wrote:I need to be convinced to buy this bike!
Sounds like you already know what the actual costs will be, lol. For $200 I'd probably pick it up as a long term project to help me pass time between rides, but as others here have said, I know my projects are going to cost me more than I'll ever get out of them, but then that's never been one of my criteria, I just like wrenching. Could make a decent back up bike, or buddy bike, by the time you finish. My time on the 250s is limited, but I seem to remember them not making a ton of grunt low, but being pretty nice in midrange, a good candidate for a dual sport maybe?
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Well you guys responded too quick for me to keep up all my bikes besides my 125 has been a project so im well aware of the "unforseen" but im usually pretty good about keeping costs down I did some research for parts and there's not a ton in the used department so that means more $ per part if I have to buy all new oh well I was going to pick it up today anyway and strip it and toss a coin as to part it out or fix it up but ive been informed he sold it to a coworker before I could decide oh well on to the next one thanks for the help!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KDX250 should I buy?!

Post by rbates9 »

I know this is over now but I just saw this and thought I might as well post it for an example of what they are going for. I know there is no pictures and it could be junk but it runs, according to the listing...

http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/3871468345.html
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I bought a $200 2001 yz250 that I thought only needed a top end and replate. $1500 later I was only hAlfway done spending money. I sold all the new parts I'd bought, and actually came out to the good by the time I sold parts of the suspension, frame, etc. I'd advise against buying a project bike that old. You'll constantly find new things that need replacing. My two cents. This goes for anyone, since the op didn't buy the bike. I got my 02 kdx for less than $700 and it fell literally into my lap, so sometimes waiting pays off :supz:
2002 KDX 200
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

There are not shortcuts with old or used dirt bikes but is the only way have to have a good working machine for less than half the price of a new one. fun toys are expensive!!!
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Actionman wrote:I bought a $200 2001 yz250 that I thought only needed a top end and replate. $1500 later I was only hAlfway done spending money. I sold all the new parts I'd bought, and actually came out to the good by the time I sold parts of the suspension, frame, etc. I'd advise against buying a project bike that old. You'll constantly find new things that need replacing. My two cents. This goes for anyone, since the op didn't buy the bike. I got my 02 kdx for less than $700 and it fell literally into my lap, so sometimes waiting pays off :supz:

I enjoy wrenching almost as much as riding, so there aren't a lot of bikes I wouldn't pay $200 for. You'll have things that need replacing on a new bike as well, nature of the beast. The whole " don't spend money on a bike that old" is a very dirtrider.net attidude, and doesn't really fit in a site dedicated to a line of discontinued machines. :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
hadfield4wd
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by hadfield4wd »

I bought a KL600 project bike for 200. Ended up at 1500 total. Just sold it for 1300 after a year of hard riding. Didn't need everything I put into but that's fine.

My sons rm I bought for 300. Put another 800 into it and now another 200. It's a project that we rebuilt together from the frame up. That was fun. I couldn't buy a bike in this good of shape for that money.

I bought a 90 kdx from a friend who needed money or a hybrid. I just got another bike that will fit that bill better so I'm currently losing money on the part out. Oh well.

I too like to wrench especially if its an extra bike that I don't have to ride right away. I always need a project it I'll drive my whole family crazy. I don't really plan on doing it for a profit.

I have a cr80 qued up right now.
'85 KL 600 my big dual sport
'02 Honda Rancher SQ (Sport Quad) big bore for my wife
'03 Honda Rancher Stock for my daughter
'99 Yamaha Breeze for my youngest son
'89 RM125 for my 14 year old
'99 CR250 Chassis with '90 KDX200 motor (Hybrid Woods Weapon Project)
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Wrenching definitely helps pass the time in the winter Id like to try one of those snow track kits turn my kdx into a snow machine....
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Here's what I'm talking about for anyone that maybe hasnt seen them.

Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Julien D wrote:
Actionman wrote:I bought a $200 2001 yz250 that I thought only needed a top end and replate. $1500 later I was only hAlfway done spending money. I sold all the new parts I'd bought, and actually came out to the good by the time I sold parts of the suspension, frame, etc. I'd advise against buying a project bike that old. You'll constantly find new things that need replacing. My two cents. This goes for anyone, since the op didn't buy the bike. I got my 02 kdx for less than $700 and it fell literally into my lap, so sometimes waiting pays off :supz:

I enjoy wrenching almost as much as riding, so there aren't a lot of bikes I wouldn't pay $200 for. You'll have things that need replacing on a new bike as well, nature of the beast. The whole " don't spend money on a bike that old" is a very dirtrider.net attidude, and doesn't really fit in a site dedicated to a line of discontinued machines. :)
Yeah, I wanted to say "...unless the parts supply is pretty robust." I got lucky that the yz I tried to rebuild used basically the same parts for 12 years straight. A bike like a kdx250, though, would probably be expensive to buy for. Believe me, I'm all for rebuilding a steal of a project bike, buti guess I'm a "function over form" kind of guy; I don't care if it looks new-just that its got reliable parts. Anyway, carry on;)
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
2002 KDX 200