probably shouldn't ask but...what premix oil?

Got questions? We got answers....
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

hey guys, things are changing in my garage and I can finally change from the oil I can afford to the oil that is best for my bike
I've been running a low end 2 stroke oil intended for outboard use that I carried over from my previous bike
my previous bike did not have a powervalve though

so my question basically is, what is your suggestion on pre mix oil?
I was considering to switch over to amsoil interceptor but after googling it I found a LOT of bad reviews from people running it in their PWCs and sleds

(would be really cool if we could get a poll up on this)

some of the oil I've come across on the internet is
golden spectro (they have about 8 different blends, are they all good to use with powervalves?)
castor maxima 927 or formula K2
amsoil interceptor (like I said, bad reviews)
amsoil dominator (doesn't claim to be intended for powervalves)
klotz of some sort :doh:

so, lets have it, what should I use, what should I stay away from and why?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: probably shouldn't ask but...what premix oil?

Post by royadams »

I use maxima 927 now. In the past I used golden spectro . I've had good luck with both.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'd like to see these bad reviews on Interceptor. I have been using that and dominator for years with no issues. I prefer Interceptor, but will use Dominator if it's not available.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

royadams wrote:I use maxima 927 now. In the past I used golden spectro . I've had good luck with both.
Same here. 927 is what use currently. My old RD I always ran Golden Spectro. Some say 927 will gum up the power valves but I have experienced no such problems with it in my KDX's. Plus, it smells good! :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

been using amsoil dominator, cuz i can't get interceptor locally for a few years now. No problem.
All the one you cited are fine, just make sure you jet properly when you do the switch.
Check sig for how to.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

Julien D wrote:I'd like to see these bad reviews on Interceptor. I have been using that and dominator for years with no issues. I prefer Interceptor, but will use Dominator if it's not available.
these were the main posts I was talking about

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=301743

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/3 ... r-oil.html

I understand those are not the exact same as our KDX engines, but I figured the principles should be the same

Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Switch to Amsoil interceptor because Belray is to expensive here (almost $24 for a quart) no problems at all since the switch and is cheaper too. ($10 for the quart).

Image.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

any good quality bike specific 2 stroke will do...just make sure your local supplier has a good stock of that brand & stick with it.
Here in the UK i have always run `ROCK OIL` in my 2 strokes due to the low smoke, excellent engine protection oh & it smells nice too! :grin:
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

My buddies and I use maxima super m. Never had issues with pv gum up and you can get it for 28$ for 64oz. Which lasts a while.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I use lucas oil 2 stroke it's available at Napa $10 quart
chippy

Post by chippy »

TORCO GP-7 is the absolute winner around here. Many of my racing and bike mechanic buddies conviced me of this. (the ones who really make a living doing this!) Your bike will even run noticeably better when using this oil. It was even proven to me.
Any of the above oils will work fine. (I use alot of Lucas products) I just think the TORCO is a little bit better!
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

The 3 best I run klotz r 50 in my kx125 it has excelent protection from the high rpms of the race engines, I run Amsoil interceptor in my KDX and have never had any issues its designed for use with powervalves, My dad runs Gold spectro in his 85 Yamaha IT200 which he bought brand new in 85 and has never had to open the motor up in 28 years! So in my opinion thats proof enough gold spectro is damn good. Only reason I don't run it is I haven't been sure on its powervalve performance which I'm sure is fine as I'm sure they've changed the formulation as new engines came out.

PS: R50 exhaust smells awesome!

1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

thanks for the input guys

im leaning towards the klotz...somehow that sounds good and at about 15 dollars a quart it isn't too terrible expensive (though I think I pay that a gallon now)

bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I usually run Spectro Gold, though lately it's been Lucas just due to availability. Truth be told, there have been a lot of times we have gone off for a weekend of riding and ended up needing more oil, and I have run whatever we could find at the local gas station (usually the cheapest 2T oil probably made in the world :mrgreen: ) and have had no problems other than s little more smoke and splooge. As has been said here over and over, doesn't really matter what you use, as long as you jet to it and use the same every time.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

I run Torco GP-7. I run it at 70:1 in my Beta trials bike and have never had a problem. I run it at 40:1 in my KDX.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I always used Golden Spectro on my old KDX (95) and mixed it one bottle to 5 gallons and never had any problems. Ever. Then when I got the last KDX I used it a few times but the price was a little too steep for me. I think the local bike shop is getting $8 or $9 a bottle. So then I switched to the Amsoil. The one in the black bottle. and run it at 40:1 and have had no issues either.
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Currently running Motul "Off Road" 800 in all my two strokes because I am getting a really good deal on it. Historically I have run anything from top-of-the line stuff to chainsaw oil, dependent on availability at time of ride (as well as pocketbook status at the counter), and still have no clue which of any of them has prevented or created problems.

Right now, in my mind, I feel real confident with the 800 because it's supposed to be stupid expensive. That should mean its just damn great -- ammirite or what?

BTW, in response to Ohio's post I can say I own and have owned multiple IT/RT/DT Yamaha's over the years and still have my '83 IT175, which is almost identical to your dad's '85 200 (I also would still have my wife's '90 RT too had it not been recently stolen). I've seldom run anything but the crappiest of cheap stuff in it, and for whatever reason that original top-end is still tight as hell, and obviously old as hell. So I wouldn't necessarily attribute it to the oil in that case.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Sarrant
Yamaha must have just made those ITs bulletproof then!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.