kdx200 spitting oil and stinks

Got questions? We got answers....
vtwerm

Post by vtwerm »

Bought a 96 kdx200 yesterday. Took it out today and it runs great. A lot of fun. But after about 20 minutes there was oil on the muffler and the fender. Not a ton. But a little bit excessive. Also it smells terrible. Like burning something. Not quite an oil smell. Maybe it could be tranny fluid? Now I'm sorry but this is the first 2 stroke I've ever had. Very excited on the bike but could really use your advice guys. Thanks a ton.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: kdx200 spitting oil and stinks

Post by diymirage »

if the bike is properly jetted I wouldn't worry about the spooge (black unburnt oil on the muffler)
does it have the stock muffler or aftermarket?

as for the smell, start by standing the bike up right and look through the glass (in the outer clutch cover) and see if your oil is at the right level

for the price of an oil change it wouldn't hurt to just put fresh oil in anyway but if the oil level is good I would finish off the gas that is in the tank and mix a new batch
be sure to use a different 2 stroke oil and see if the smell changes, if it does, you just had some oil in there you didn't like ;)

one a side note, a 96 you say ?
is it the famous barney edition ?

we need to see some pics :)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
vtwerm

Post by vtwerm »

I will check the oil after work tommorow. The gas in it is from previous owner. I think he said it was 40:1. I will get back to you about that tommorow. I am very excited about her shes great . I can't figure out how to post a picture from my phone. Maybe I can do it from work tommorow. Thanks for the advice
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

work on sunday ?
you're not a preacher man are you ?

my sundayschool kids love it when I show up to church on my KDX :lol: (one of mine is plated for street use)

40-1 sounds good to me, that's what I mix mine at
since you are new to 2 strokers there is a good chance the "new" smell is nothing more then the presence of oil in the fuel

if you check her out tomorrow and the oil level in the crank case is good I wouldn't worry much about it, just get some fresh gas and see how that smells :)

vtwerm

Post by vtwerm »

I'm manager at my local hardware store. Open 7 days a week. 362 days a year haha. I do appreciate the quick response. I assume the 2 stroke is a sweeter smell. This is a burnt smell. Again sorry if I'm wrong. But I'll check the oil tommorow.

PS. I'm assuming that by Barney edition you mean parts of it are purple??
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

lol, don't get used to the quick response, im heading off to bed in a few minutes here

I guess you wont have any issues replacing missing bolts then
different oils do smell, well, different
but it could very well be there is something burning up, but I would check the oil level first
no point in chasing ghosts
did you figure out if the muffler is stock or not ?
my plated KDX has a stock muffler with a bills pipe and never ever spooged
one day I swapped to a FMF muffler and now half my license plate is black

and yes, the barney bikes have a purple tank, shrouds fork boots and seat

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... =met+twins

for some reason the newer generation refers to them as buz lightyear mobiles

vtwerm

Post by vtwerm »

Its an FMF. Will post more tommorow. Thanks
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

It's possible that you are just due for a new piston. The rings may be worn
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

If your silencer is the one that uses a packing maybe is time to change it,a good clean up of your pipe with something like mineral spirits is no a bad idea. Buy some fresh gas and a good quality premix oil and make sure you buy the one recommended for power valve engines.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
vtwerm

Post by vtwerm »

okay im sorry but how do i post a picture on here? im assuming the motor oil is the tank right next to the foot brake correct? if so it seems full. i can see the level go down when i tilt the bike but when the bike is level it goes back up. anyone know how to check the tranny fluid? thanks for the advice guys
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

vtwerm wrote:okay im sorry but how do i post a picture on here? im assuming the motor oil is the tank right next to the foot brake correct? if so it seems full. i can see the level go down when i tilt the bike but when the bike is level it goes back up. anyone know how to check the tranny fluid? thanks for the advice guys
Easiest way is to upload to an image-host such as http://www.photobucket.com or http://www.imgur.com. Then retrieve the .jpg link
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

vtwerm wrote:okay im sorry but how do i post a picture on here? im assuming the motor oil is the tank right next to the foot brake correct? if so it seems full. i can see the level go down when i tilt the bike but when the bike is level it goes back up. anyone know how to check the tranny fluid? thanks for the advice guys

sounds like you got it figured out...halfway
since this is a 2 stroke engine the clutch, transmission and crankcase are one solid unit (with oil circulating throughout all 3 parts of it)

the part you refer to as a "tank" is actually your outer clutch cover, if you ever wish to inspect or service your clutch that is the part you remove

the manual call for 750 ML of oil which should show at about 2/3s (if I remember correctly) of the glass in the outer clutch cover but a lot of people put in the full quart (946 ML) to quiet the rattle a bit

sounds to me the smell you are noticing is the 2 cycle oil the previous owner used
I would finish (or drain) the tank and get fresh gas and fresh oil (mixed at 40:1) and see if there is a difference

when choosing a 2 cycle oil you have just as much choice as choosing motor oil so just pick one that is readily available and "manufactured with powervalves in mind"

vtwerm

Post by vtwerm »

okay here we go

let me know if those links work
the first one is the muffler. I rode about 25 min and wiped off what was on it. then rode another 30 and thats what you see on there now. the wheel is all the oil from both times riding. Like i said she runs great but sometimes will stall at idle. I wouldnt be so concerned but it smells pretty bad.
Im gonna check all the fluids when i get home and im trying to get my hands on a service manual.
Thanks for all the help guys.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

definitely looks bad...worse then I was expecting
for starters, that tail piece should be sealed off, there shouldn't be anything coming out off there, I would remove that, inspect/replace the packaging and then get some new fuel and a fresh spark plug (you could go down to an 8 to cover up the problem but after you finish the next step it should run just fine on a 9)

once you have a fresh tank of gas and fresh oil go through the jetting process and be sure the bike is properly jetted
here is the jetting guide http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 105&t=1156

once you are done doing this and it STILL spooges there is most likely an underlying issue but that looks like poor jetting to me

as for the manual, there is a link on our home page, you want the one for the H model (96-06)

vtwerm

Post by vtwerm »

So should I run it out of gas or pump the rest out?
vtwerm

Post by vtwerm »

Should I not ride it
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

I doubt you will damage anything by running out the gas that is in there but im sure there isn't any more then 10 dollars worth of gas in there so you might as well drain it

the tank is very simple to remove, shouldn't take more then 10 minutes, pull the seat off and the shroud and I think there is only 2 bolts holding the tank in the frame

once the tank is off you can pull the drain plug from the carb to drain all the old gas out of it
(this is also a perfect time to change plugs)

reassemble and refill and you're ready to rock

Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Start by cleaning your pipe and silencer then repack the silencer, clean the air filter, put a new spark plug, drain the gas, put new premix gas on it (remember to use 91+ octane fuel). Then take the bike for a ride and if necessary do the jetting according DIY instructions. Remember to clean everything first if not done properly you will lose the packing job in no time.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

When my 250 was blowing that much oil I needed crank seals. I would keep an eye on the oil level if it is going down I would check out the crank seals and bearings.
vtwerm

Post by vtwerm »

as far as I can tell the oil is fine. I'm judging this by the window just above my foot brake. Correct me if I'm wrong on that one . And I'm sorry but I'm very new to this. When you.say repacking the muffler it makes no sense to me but I'll look around online and figure it out.
Am I gonna do harm riding it 30 min here and there?
Should I just keep her parked?

I thank all you guys much for all your input and help