kdx200 spitting oil and stinks

Got questions? We got answers....
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

Another possibility is something stuck in the reeds. Example... I cleaned my carb and stuck some paper towel in the intake to stop crap getting in it. Forgot about the paper towel and put it together. It ran ok but had some idle issues and spooged like crazy. Pulled it apart, laughed at my stupidity, cleaned the reeds out and it ran perfect. So you might try pulling the carb and reeds out and look them over.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: kdx200 spitting oil and stinks

Post by royadams »

I don't think it will hurt anything to ride it like that. But I would carry an extra spark plug its only a matter of time before you foul one.
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

A 13/16ths wrench and a couple stiff bristle tooth brushes in a little pouch and you're ready for the woods :grin: I always carry that with me since last time my friend drove it around for ten minutes with low throttle. Fouled the plug and had to throw it on the back of the ATV for the ride back :doh:
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

With that much oil, I would be worried about a blown seal. That is WAY beyond what one would call running a little rich.

Under normal circumstances, fresh fuel, fresh plug, cleaned and oiled air filter, good state of repair on engine, it is usually a carburetor jetting problem. This looks worse than that.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
vtwerm

Post by vtwerm »

I havent had much time to look at the last two days but i will soon.
the guy who had it says he never had the problem and i wanna believe him.
But what would explain the sudden symptoms?
And it aslo wont idle without stalling.
i know i ask a lot of questions but just looking for a few good opinions.
Thanks
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Kick me, but...

pressure test/vacuum test
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Without smelling it can't say for sure, but burning crankcase oil would smell pretty bad if your crank seals are shot (ever sniffed your clutch when you were lazy about changing oil?) Pressure test will give you an idea if your rings are shot. Looks like a jetting job is in serious need, could just be a case of bad jetting and really crappy 2T oil. Are you saying the oil on the fender smells bad? or is it a smell coming from elsewhere.
vtwerm

Post by vtwerm »

The smell is from the oil I assume. After about 20 min of riding the muffler smokes and the smell begins. And it does smell nasty. Where could I get a pressure test?
And am I gonna damage it riding around 20 min at a time if its crank seals?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have to agree with Jason. That much oil in that short a time seems like more then just bad jetting. Are you sure your transmission oil isn't going down? Check the transmission oil cold, then ride it for an hour or so then let the bike cool back down over night and check it again. Use a sharpie to mark the glass to make sure it is at the same height. If you can set the bike on a stand so it sits level for both of the checks. For that much oil to be coming out you have either WAY to much oil in the gas, VERY bad jetting that should foul plugs left and right, or a bad crank seal.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Agreed. That's not just spooge, something is wrong. No harm in draining the fuel, cleaning or replacing the air filter, replacing plug, cleaning carb, and checking reeds. That's all free, or very very cheap, and a great way to get to know your bike. If the issue persists after that, time to dig deeper.

Oh, and if you think it runs good now, wait till you fix it. No way its running near peak and spitting out that much trash.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
vtwerm

Post by vtwerm »

Okay. Any advice how to change brake fluid?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

vtwerm wrote:Okay. Any advice how to change brake fluid?

That topic has been covered a time or two and there is many ways to do it. The cheapest and hardest way is to bleed the brakes as normal and keep the master cylinder full. And then there is using a pump to either pull the brake fluid down or push it back up to the top. I would suggest that you may have the best luck if you remove the complete brake assembly in one piece and get the caliper higher then the master cylinder with the line as straight as you can get it to help get the air to rise. When you get done if the lever isn't as firm as you would like zip tieing the lever to the handle bars over night will help firm it up some. But if you do a search on bleed or bleeding you will probably find a few pain filled topics and some good tricks to get it done.