91 kdx 200 1st and 2nd gear bog

Got questions? We got answers....
d1star

91 kdx 200 1st and 2nd gear bog

Post by d1star »

hi my bike bogs down really bad in 1st and a little bit in 2nd which is really annoying on hills the carby (pe28) is set to factory settings and is clean,top end and kips have just been rebuilt, the expansion chamber has moderate damage(dings). what worries me is it spits out heaps of black oil from the exhaust port where the expansion chamber bolts to the motor due to it not sealing and the muffler is straight through(not sure if that is normal for a 2stroke)is there a back pressure issue? or exhaust port issue? please help my mates keep laughing at me stacking on hills :cry:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 91 kdx 200 1st and 2nd gear bog

Post by Julien D »

This is an SR, I'm guessing? With the 28mm carb, it just about has to be. I would be looking at the jetting. Factory jetting is quite rich. I am not familiar with common settings on the 28mm carb, so I will let someone else chime in. The process will be the same though. To do it properly there really are no shortcuts. You need to jet each circuit.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

check the needle(tend to drop) and throttle slide (part of the round slide tend to chip off). I suggest changing the PE carb to a mikuni TM30 from a WR200. No modification needed, direct bolt on. I am using it in my KDX200 SR. so much better than stock.
A true KDX customizer!!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

KDXsg wrote:check the needle(tend to drop) and throttle slide (part of the round slide tend to chip off). I suggest changing the PE carb to a mikuni TM30 from a WR200. No modification needed, direct bolt on. I am using it in my KDX200 SR. so much better than stock.
Sounds like sound advice. Never been much of a mikuni fan though. Does the TM30 have accommodations for the oil injection, or did you have to delete the oil pump?