Idle problem

Got questions? We got answers....
terminatr

Idle problem

Post by terminatr »

Hi.
My '01 220 idle is too low, after riding in slow technical hill climb terrain. I have to turn the idle screw all the way in, to keep the bike from stalling at idle.

It idles fine with idle screw turned out, after I let it cool down.

What's going on?
2001 KDX220
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Idle problem

Post by Goofaroo »

It sounds like it's getting too hot. Is it pinging? Losing power?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

From the description, it does sound as if you could have a heat issue. Have you checked the water pump and all? It's not unusual for me to fiddle with the idle screw a couple times during the day as the outside temp changes. I would not expect to have to change it much though, certainly not all the way in.
terminatr

Idle problem

Post by terminatr »

I didn't notice anything unusual except the idle. Powers up the hills just fine. I didn't feel any heat on my legs as I was riding.
2001 KDX220
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Check your coolant level, and also your oil for a milky condition which would indicate a pump seal going bad. What conditions are you riding in (i.e.: high temps/humidity, etc) and is your bike properly jetted for those conditions before anything else. Might be worth checking that the impeller isn't freewheeling as well, since it does sound like a heat issue.
terminatr

Post by terminatr »

bufftester wrote:Check your coolant level, and also your oil for a milky condition which would indicate a pump seal going bad. What conditions are you riding in (i.e.: high temps/humidity, etc) and is your bike properly jetted for those conditions before anything else. Might be worth checking that the impeller isn't freewheeling as well, since it does sound like a heat issue.
BIke is jetted good. It runs very well. Idle problem has been going on for a while now, even when the weather was cooler and dry. Now it's hot and humid here.

How do I check the impeller?
2001 KDX220
terminatr

Idle problem

Post by terminatr »

I disconnected one of the water hose, and then started the bike. Water came gushing out like a fire hydrant, when the bike fired up. I guess that means the impeller of the water pump is working properly.
2001 KDX220
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Check your spark plug.If your jetting was performed for cold dry weather and you are in hot hight humidity weather you are running on the rich side.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
terminatr

Idle problem

Post by terminatr »

I figured out this is not a heat related issue. I was out riding all day long Saturday, following a slow newbie riding a slow bike. I was lugging my bike on 2nd gear all day. My bike idle fine...until I dropped it while trying to kick start on the bottom of a gulley. For next 15 minutes or so afterward, bike idle speed got too low and I had to blip the throttle if I use the clutch. After a while, problem went away, and I did not drop the bike anymore that day.

So, looks like somehow, the bike being on its side has something to do with it.

:hmm:
2001 KDX220
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Take the carb off and give it a good clean bath, sounds like you have a sticking float or some gunk rattling around your low speed circuits.