Clutch basket appears shot/notched.

Got questions? We got answers....
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

ok so I wound up getting a little time to work on bike some and found out some clues as to whats going on.

Basket is really notched I mean NOTCHED worse then any pics on the internet have shown and dont think I can file them back down.

I was able to locate a used complete set on ebay for 40 that looks a helluva lot better and with minimal notchy can easily be filed. The hub also has some notches on it but I do believe I could save it. Not sure.

BUT WAIT THERES MORE rofl. When I first opened the clutch cover a piece fell to the ground.

now looking at the clutch with everything out (basket) I dont see anything apparent or broken in fact bike shifts through all gears smooth (well when clutch was ok). Any idea where this piece came from? It looks as if someone did a bottom end at some time. I can see new gaskets and it looks pretty dam good in there. Could also be they didnt get everthing out with last problem?

not sure if this looks bad or what.

First clutch for me so Im taking it slow. Took it even slower when I got it disassembled and when seen how bad just stood in a spot in garage and drank beer hahahaha :lol:

Any suggestions as to what to do possibly next?
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Clutch basket appears shot/notched.

Post by Julien D »

Hub looks ok. Is that piece metal? Looks like a hunk of dried up sealer of some sort or something.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I have filed and used a basket that was notched that bad before. It is probably not a good idea, if you can get a better one.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

check the new thread in my sig, there is a section on how to remove notch. I've done it and it made a huge difference.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

That is probably the worst one I have ever seen. If you can find a replacement in better shape take it. By the time you file those down you're going to have a lot of slop and it will notch itself again fairly quickly. The hub doesn't look too bad though. I'm with Julien, that looks like a piece of sealer, is it metal? Or maybe you found the secret piece Kawi throws into every KDX to get the trademark rattling? lol :lol:
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Well thhats just it for that piece ......its not metal. Its very hard like metal. Cant cut it and a bit of acid just made it cleaner. Im no Rocktologist :lol: it appears to have no defined edges. Uneducated guess is its a rock. Its not plastic or a hard material.

As for the basket. Im pretty sure it was shot so I did order a new one and the hub doesnt look bad.

Now as far as the rock. I dont know how its there. It definetly led to the clutch feeling weird. I see some weird scuff marks perhaps where the rock had got stuck in there. Possibly when I felt like I had NO clutch. Roadside repair with using old oil? I had drained and flushed it three times by this point and nothing ever in oil? Any way to possibly flush the crankcase out of some sorts? I dont have any leaks or cases problem to let an object enter?

I ordered the whole clutch off of ebay that is a thousand times better. Ill report back in this post once I get some parts and some more progress. Thanks again for your help so far!!!
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

bufftester wrote:That is probably the worst one I have ever seen. ...
Me too. Congratulaions. :mrgreen:

Good job on replacing it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Check my rebuild thread. I filed mine and added oil relief holes to the fingers as well (do this to all my clutch baskets.) 150 Hours later and it still works great. And I ride the **** out of my bike!
'00 KDX 220R