Advice needed

Got questions? We got answers....
hadfield4wd
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Advice needed

Post by hadfield4wd »

What do you guys think? I had planned on building a hybrid. I started gathering parts. I have a CR250 chassis and a 90 KDX motor. I just bought a KLX300 so that will really be my woods bike and I want to build the CR now to a MXer. I'll be building a MX track on my property.

So what to do with my motor? It's really the only thing worth anything from the KDX I have. It's disassembled, completely. I have a rebuilt crank and rod from Mrcrankshaft.com. He's done great work for me in the past so I decided to go with him again. I have OEM crank bearings. A cylinder that was just done by powerseal. Nothing else has been done at this point. The powervalve needs the 2 on the sides replaced, not the middle one it's fine. I had planned on a RB head and carb mods and a new piston.

Should I spend the money on the piston, head and power valve and sell it as a complete motor? How much could I get? I know I'd have to provide receipts and pictures to the new owner. Or should I just cut my losses, sell my known good parts and trash the rest? I know this is an older motor and I'd hate to spend another couple hundred to only break even. I could rebuild the carb and sell it with the cdi I have as well. If I rebuilt it and put it on EBay what could I realistically get?
'85 KL 600 my big dual sport
'02 Honda Rancher SQ (Sport Quad) big bore for my wife
'03 Honda Rancher Stock for my daughter
'99 Yamaha Breeze for my youngest son
'89 RM125 for my 14 year old
'99 CR250 Chassis with '90 KDX200 motor (Hybrid Woods Weapon Project)
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: Advice needed

Post by KarlP »

I'm not real sure what you are asking.....

Are you now planning to make the CR250 a CR with a CR motor? That would be a fine MXer.

The 90 KDX motor is not worth diddly unless it is running in a frame, in my opinion.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

KarlP wrote:I'm not real sure what you are asking.....

Are you now planning to make the CR250 a CR with a CR motor? That would be a fine MXer.

The 90 KDX motor is not worth diddly unless it is running in a frame, in my opinion.

I think he is inviting us to his homegrown MX track ?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If you are wanting to unload the E motor, I would part it out. You can list it in the classifieds here, if you like.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
hadfield4wd
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by hadfield4wd »

KarlP wrote:I'm not real sure what you are asking.....

Yeah I wasn't clear. I'm debating on what to do with a motor now that I am not going to use it.
diymirage wrote: I think he is inviting us to his homegrown MX track ?
That can be arranged. As long as you help build it. :partyman:
Julien D wrote:If you are wanting to unload the E motor, I would part it out. You can list it in the classifieds here, if you like.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
Yes I am looking for the best way to unload an "E" motor. Either parted out or assembled.
'85 KL 600 my big dual sport
'02 Honda Rancher SQ (Sport Quad) big bore for my wife
'03 Honda Rancher Stock for my daughter
'99 Yamaha Breeze for my youngest son
'89 RM125 for my 14 year old
'99 CR250 Chassis with '90 KDX200 motor (Hybrid Woods Weapon Project)