Riding E Series with Damaged Subvalves

Got questions? We got answers....
Thrahl

Riding E Series with Damaged Subvalves

Post by Thrahl »

I took the pipe off today to inspect the power valves on my '89 after riding yesterday and noticing a flat top end. Turns out neither subvalve is rotating like it should. The center valve moves fine though.
I only have ~30 hrs on the left valve.
I have yet to take the head off but I assume that the left valve (which contacts the steel shaft directly) is toast like when I replaced it and the idle gear is damaged on the other side.

Aside from the flat top end the bike ran great.
I don't really wan't to go drop $100+ right now when the only performance hit I am taking is in the very top end (which I am rarely in).

Could I somehow cause more damage or run into issues by continuing to run with the power valves like this?

Also as a side note, is there anyway to prevent this in the future? When I rebuilt my engine I didn't replace the little collars which I have recently learned I should have done.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Riding E Series with Damaged Subvalves

Post by Julien D »

replacing the collars usually helps. Also making sure they are clean. I have rode mine plenty with busted valves and haven't yet hurt anything. There is a chance that a broken piece of valve could make it's way into the cylinder, so be aware of that. I think the H bikes tend to do that a lot more than the E bikes though. Anyone ever seen an E bike digest a piece of subvalve?

J.
Thrahl

Post by Thrahl »

As I have been doing research I ran across this Julien D. http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showth ... did=173869
Did you end up pressing in that brass bushing you mentioned at the end?
I have read that the reason they break so much is that they bind up a little due to play in the lower and upper parts.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

No, I never did. Got another cylinder with less wear and have had much less problem since. I still think its a good idea if the lower journals are worn and have excess play.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2