Help - Trouble starting '00 KDX 200

Got questions? We got answers....
devans

Post by devans »

Hi All,

A few months ago I pulled my bike out of the shed after being stored for many years. The bike used to always start after 2-3 kicks, but now I need to spray aerostart onto the air filter to get it going. Once warmed up it's fine. I can go on a trail ride, take a break for an hour, and it will kick it over first go.

I have done the following to troubleshoot:
Fresh spark plug (checked spark and it is fine).
Made sure fuel tank and filters were clean.
Fresh fuel.
Removed drain from carby and turned on fuel tap to make sure fuel was flowing through okay and there was no old fuel or water in the bowl.
Cleaned air filter.
Cleaned out carby with carb cleaner, checked jets, and floats.

I've also cleaned the power valves, checked the reed valves, and replaced the rings and gaskets.

Any ideas?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Help - Trouble starting '00 KDX 200

Post by Julien D »

Sounds like the pilot circuit maybe partially clogged. A more thorough cleaning may be needed. A set of guitar strings with the outer windings removed makes a great toolkit for cleaning jets and passages. Compressed air, carb cleaner, guitar strings. When one of my bikes sits for an extended period, it's not unusual for me to have the darn carb off 2 or 3 times for cleaning before it all gets sorted. Did you drain the tank and replace with fresh fuel as well?
devans

Post by devans »

Yes, I flushed the tank and even replaced the fuel petcock, as the filters inside the fuel tank had eroded. Yes , fresh fuel.

I had already run a fine wire thought the jets and needle when I cleaned the carb with carb cleaner. Not to say I shouldn't check it again.

I would have thought that if that is the problem then I would have trouble starting it all the time, not just the first time.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You would think so. That's just the easiest thing I can think of. Could be a problem with the choke as well, so make sure when you're cleaning that you remove the choke plunger and clean that out as well.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

When you try to start the bike for the first time are you turning the gas on and kicking? Or do you give it a minute. With my bike if I try to start it for the first time of the day it really helps to leave the gas on for a few minutes before I try to start it.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

when it does start does it run well or does it still have issues?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
devans

Post by devans »

rbates9 wrote:When you try to start the bike for the first time are you turning the gas on and kicking? Or do you give it a minute. With my bike if I try to start it for the first time of the day it really helps to leave the gas on for a few minutes before I try to start it.
I've tried both methods rbates9.
diymirage wrote:when it does start does it run well or does it still have issues?
It runs perfectly diymirage.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

I'd check the float hight and the choke circuit. If my 250 sits for a long time I will turn on fuel, lean it on its side until fuel comes out the overflow, kick it over slow three or four times then one good kick and it fires right up.
devans

Post by devans »

royadams wrote:I'd check the float hight and the choke circuit. If my 250 sits for a long time I will turn on fuel, lean it on its side until fuel comes out the overflow, kick it over slow three or four times then one good kick and it fires right up.
I'll check it out. It's got to be something simple like that.
devans

Post by devans »

royadams wrote:I'd check the float hight and the choke circuit. If my 250 sits for a long time I will turn on fuel, lean it on its side until fuel comes out the overflow, kick it over slow three or four times then one good kick and it fires right up.
I finally got around to checking the carby. I unscrewed the choke mechanism and pushed a thin wire through. I didn't feel any obstruction nor see any evidence on the end of the wire; but when I removed the bowl and emptied it there was a little ball of jell floating in the fuel. I sprayed some carby cleaner through it and reassembled. The bike started after 4 kicks.

Problem solved. :boogie: Thanks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

THE CARB, THE CARB, it's always the carb. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

It's why we always say...clean the carb...which means don't just spray it down with a can of carb cleaner and poke about with wire...disassemble it, take the jets out, and do a proper cleaning. Lots of little places for varnish/goo to hide from a cursory cleaning. Glad you got it squared away.
devans

Post by devans »

bufftester wrote:It's why we always say...clean the carb...which means don't just spray it down with a can of carb cleaner and poke about with wire...disassemble it, take the jets out, and do a proper cleaning. Lots of little places for varnish/goo to hide from a cursory cleaning. Glad you got it squared away.
I originally did a complete tear down of the carby when I pulled the bike out of storage. The only thing I didn't do was push a wire through from the choke cavity; & of course that's where the problem lay. Lesson learned.