smaller jets? where to get them?

Got questions? We got answers....
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

I have a kdx 200H. just put a used gnarly woods pipe and fmf silencer. put the boyesen power reeds in and I have 42/155 in the carb and its acting rich now. with stock pipe jetting seemed perfect. So here is my question. I see all the stickies and other posts and I know how to follow. Testing indicates it needs to lean out. Sooooo I bought both 40 and 150 jets but the threads dont match. they are too small. I see where everyone talks about jets as small as 38/145 for the 200H... Where the heck do you get the next steps down that fit in that carb?

I have had my cylinder bored and re-plated... should I try and put a 220 carb on there?
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I wouldn't go with a 220 carb. You should be able to get jets from your local bike shop. As far as I know all the Kehin carbs use the same jets. You can also get them from jets r us or most any online parts store.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: smaller jets? where to get them?

Post by bufftester »

JetsRUs is a good source, you definitely need to rejet with the changes you made. I'd suggest you get a couple sizes up and down from where you are at stock, they're cheap and it's nice to have them on hand when you start the process.
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

This is awesome thanks!!! I bought 152/150/148 and 40/38/35. I will post back up when I get em in.
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Hi, you can find them at ebay, look for keihin 35 or 33 pwk carb jets. I got almost the same modifications in my kdx 220 with 38/142 jets and needle clip on the second position and she works flawlessly but remember that you need to tune the bike for your area and it depends on the altitude air temperature and humidity.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

Postigo wrote:Hi, you can find them at ebay, look for keihin 35 or 33 pwk carb jets. I got almost the same modifications in my kdx 220 with 38/142 jets and needle clip on the second position and she works flawlessly but remember that you need to tune the bike for your area and it depends on the altitude air temperature and humidity.
Thanks! I did bore and re plate my cylinder, but I still dont think I will have to go quite as lean as your 220. But that is encouraging to know you jetted your problem away.

BTW have any of you done the air box mods? If so, what are the pros and cons to it?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Before I went to the hybrid I had removed the snorkel and drilled 2 other 1" holes in the lid. Did seem to help it breathe a little better, did require rejetting (but that was probably because I changed reeds at the same time) Up here in the wet Pac NW I didn't have any issues with water intrusion, just make sure your drain works and is clear. Now on the hybrid I use the stock KX box/filter and have had no issues and its about the same as if you just took the lid off the KDX box
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

zepplin153 wrote:
Postigo wrote:Hi, you can find them at ebay, look for keihin 35 or 33 pwk carb jets. I got almost the same modifications in my kdx 220 with 38/142 jets and needle clip on the second position and she works flawlessly but remember that you need to tune the bike for your area and it depends on the altitude air temperature and humidity.
Thanks! I did bore and re plate my cylinder, but I still dont think I will have to go quite as lean as your 220. But that is encouraging to know you jetted your problem away.

BTW have any of you done the air box mods? If so, what are the pros and cons to it?
The jetting depends on the the weather and altitude. Here in Puerto Rico we are almost at sea level with a temperature between 75 and 95 deg and the relative humidity is pretty high all year around and with a 42 pj here you will foul the spark plug in a short ride. About the box you will have better response and a little more noise, you can remove the hole lead and test ride the bike to see if you like it.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...