did i get an ok deal? plus a few questions

Got questions? We got answers....
kpla51

Re: did i get an ok deal? plus a few questions

Post by kpla51 »

yes i am only been serving for 3 years but have been stuck here in oklahoma couldnt find a place to ride and a few months ago found a great place that has a little bit of everything and its only 10 mins away from base. on base they have a "ATV recreation area" that consists of maybe 3 acres of the most rutted out hills and nasty terain iv ever ridden in. and having that guy do the tire makes me happy i remember busting my knuckles on changing bmx tires as a young kid
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

first off, thanks for serving

do you need a tag to ride the ATV trails ?
sounds like a hare scramble area to me, I think there are 3 of them here in Michigan and I ive never been on one...yet

as for the tires, I popped a tube on my bicycle the other, after dealing with dirtbike tires for the last few years that tire popped off and back on like butter :lol:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
kpla51

Post by kpla51 »

no problem. and no we just pull up and ride tons of people go and have been riding there for years and have never had a problem. i want to set up a hare scramble there theres so many miles of trails and theres everything from mud to sand to rocks.
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

kpla51 wrote:
diymirage wrote:
kpla51 wrote:i took the filter out and am going to clean and oil it. change out the tranny oil and check the compression if the compression is good could i ride her this weekend? iv been itching to get her out to the single track here.

its a KDX 200 (assuming you checked the stamp on the base of the cylinder to make sure nobody blew the engine and replaced it with a 220)
it has good compression, a clean airfliter and fresh oil ?

seems to me the only thing it is missing is a rider
i did check the stamp on the cylinder and its not the 220 I'm going to measure just in case but i have been riding her just not how i want to for the fact that rear tire wont grab anything
Look for the left corner of the hug pipe side if there is a 0.198l is a 200 and if there is a 0.218l is 220
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

sounds like fun man

most of the trails here are sandy, and this far into the season they are tore up pretty bad
I cant wait for winter when it all freezes over again and go ride with the studs on
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
kpla51

Post by kpla51 »

ill take a look at that tomorrow have to keep it at my buddys house for now. to be honest i dont think she was beaten that hard in her past life i think she just look rough because of the plastics everything else looks good and like i said i haven't had any issues with it running. is it normal for them to shift crazy smooth? its mind boggling to me haha
kpla51

Post by kpla51 »

diymirage wrote:sounds like fun man

most of the trails here are sandy, and this far into the season they are tore up pretty bad
I cant wait for winter when it all freezes over again and go ride with the studs on
its been down pouring here lately and the jeeps went through the trails and made huge ruts that fill with water i turned my other bike into a submarine a few weeks ago!

this is my first attempt at editing haha but these are some of the trails here u can see how deep the mud is took a little spill at the end too :boogie:
Last edited by kpla51 on 09:50 pm Jun 20 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

yes i am only been serving for 3 years but have been stuck here in oklahoma couldnt find a place to ride and a few months ago found a great place that has a little bit of everything and its only 10 mins away from base
Where are you stationed? I live in Edmond and ride at Crosstimbers (Draper).
kpla51

Post by kpla51 »

fort sill! not to far at all where is that? i want to find more places to ride check out the video of the trails down here its about an hour from you id say
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

It's here in Oklahoma City next to Tinker Air Force Base. It is some really good single track and well worth the drive from Lawton. There's also some good trails at Lake Murray State Park. Both areas have a campground if that is of interest.

I'm done for this season but I'll be back out there in the fall. I'll let you young guys have it to yourselves when the weather's warm.
kpla51

Post by kpla51 »

do you need to have tags to ride in ither of those places my bike didnt have a title so i cant rely tag it idk how oklahoma is on dirt bikes.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

You don't need a tag to ride offroad here but you do need a pass at certain areas. Crosstimbers is $10 p/day or a annual pass is $60. The link below is a trail map of the area. Zoom in and take a look. The blue trails are very nice and the black trail (white on the map) is outstanding. It's an 18 mile expert loop with lots of variety. There is a tight woods section about three miles long called "Rebecca's Trail" that can be seen on the map. It is part of the black trail.

http://okiedirtriders.com/PDF%20Files/C ... %20Map.pdf

Here is a low quality video from Rebecca's Trail but it is all I could find on Youtube of this trail. I got a GoPro recently and I plan to film it from beginning to end when I get back out there this fall.

Overall, it's a great place to ride.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Here's another clip that shows a little more of the terrain.

kpla51

Post by kpla51 »

Looks like a fun place to ride do they ever set up hare scrambles?
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Nice video, for that kind of stuff I recommend a 12 tooth front sprocket ($12) and if is a 220 with a 33mm carb buy the scary fast power now for better response at low speed ($60).She will turn in a complete torque monster. Here is a photo of the scary fast a 33 pwk and a stock 35 pwk carb.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
kpla51

Post by kpla51 »

how much did that run you? i threw a 12 front on my other bike and does so much better on single track. does anyone know what brand tire came on the stock kdx? im trying to figure out if these were the stock tires if so maybe not a whole lot of time has been put on this bike but then again someone could do a whole lot of damage in only a few rides haha. are they supose to have an odometer too? i see them on some of the kdxs
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Looks like a fun place to ride do they ever set up hare scrambles?
These guys are a pretty organized club that maintains the riding area:
http://okiedirtriders.com/

And here is the racing info you need:
http://www.occra.com/
kpla51

Post by kpla51 »

thanks i do want to start racing have u done any here?
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

The tire info listed in the 1996 service manual I have for my KDX200 says the following:

Front tire: Size 80/100-21 M
(FR) 3.00-21 51P
Make DUNLOP K490, Tube type
(EU, UK) D752 Tube Type
(FR) DUNLOP D903F, Tube Type

Rear Tire: Size 100/100-18 59M
(FR) 120/80-18 62P
Make DUNLOP K695 Tube type
(EU, UK) DUNLOP D752 , Tube Type
(FR) DUNLOP D903, Tube Type

Hope this helps.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

thanks i do want to start racing have u done any here?
I raced a couple of cross country races about 20 years ago but once I got married and had kids it was hard to find time. I've thought about taking it up again but I'd have to get in shape and I don't see that happening anytime soon. I would definitely be up for doing some riding with you but you'll have to wait until October.