2001 kdx220r supermotard finished!

Got questions? We got answers....
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:Bike is looking good john :grin:

Will you be looking to run a fly wheel weight to smooth things on the road or does it behave ok as it is ?
I have geared it down for the road, running a 14/45 so im not screaming it at 60! lol, still plenty of bottom end, definitely don't want a flywheel weight :grin:
best regards
John
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: 2001 kdx220r supermotard finished!

Post by dude541 »

Roadhazardguy wrote:Everything looks sweet!

The funny thing is I was just looking at this thread yesterday haha. I like the look of your tires but I don't think I can get those over here.

you should be able to get them.........

http://www.maxxismotorcycle.com/English ... dM6118.php

best regards
John
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

Got around to testing the SR twin lighting coil stator plate today, also used the SR flywheel, and I am happy to say it fired right up! :grin:

I was going to do some testing with the standard flywheel of my 220, then realised the thread on the SR flywheel is knackered! so currently cant remove it with the normal tool! :cry:
so I will have to knock up a puller at work tomorrow, which will come in handy if I end up needing to use the SR flywheel!

once the above is sorted I can swop out one coil for my 85w item and leave the other stock.

I will also get some pictures along the way to show the differences.
best regards
John
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

UPDATE.
made a tool to remove the flywheel,

standard 220 stator (with 85w ricky stator lighting stator)

1990 200 SR stator

as you can see the source coil are in completely different places!

standard 220 & 200 SR flywheels (SR on the right)

rear view ( SR on the left this time) you can see the pickup point on the 220 flywheel, SR flywheel don't have this.

I was going to put my 85w stator in, but upon closer inspection you can see that the SR lighting coils are wider than stock, and wound with similar wire to the 85w stator! so I will leave these alone!

so in short the 1990 twin lighting SR stator will work in a newer 220 (mine is a 2001) BUT you will need the stator & flywheel, the flywheel fits the 220 crank perfectly. 1 thing I did notice was a lot more kick back when trying to start the bike, took for a test ride and runs great ( a bit rich, just gone down a main jet size and will take it out again.

just keeping the thread updated in case anyone wants to do something similar.

best regards
John
ced64k
Supporting Member

Post by ced64k »

Hey John, can you tell me where did you find your seatcover ? Thx :)
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

This is probably the best looking SM I've ever seen! Great job, man!

Where'd you get that headlight? The one is the original post?
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Anyone know? I'm about to order one, but I'd like to get that one if I can find it.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Is the pickup on the SR flywheel in a different location? I'm wondering if the ignition timing will be changed based on that, and if it is, maybe an SR CDI is required also? The 220 CDI is mapped based on the signal it receives from the magneto and if this is changed, ignition timing could be altered.
'00 KDX 220R
TAT2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TAT2 »

ced64k wrote:Hey John, can you tell me where did you find your seatcover ? Thx :)
Ditto! I called CEET and they said they did not make that seat cover anymore.....

T
TAT2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TAT2 »

And while we are at it..... What is the front light on this second page? Will it hook up to the stock wiring and run on the stock electrical? Thx!!

T
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

Slick_Nick wrote:Is the pickup on the SR flywheel in a different location? I'm wondering if the ignition timing will be changed based on that, and if it is, maybe an SR CDI is required also? The 220 CDI is mapped based on the signal it receives from the magneto and if this is changed, ignition timing could be altered.
sorry for the late response guys, not really been following this thread much lately, a lot of things have changed for me over the last 6 months, and im now in the middle of starting my own business, so very sadly the bike is up for sale!

slick nick, the SR flywheel don't have a pick up point like the stock one does, my bike started and ran fine with the SR on, but as said had a bit of kick back, I did use the stock timing marks which im sure was off on the SR stator, but this could have been sorted with a strobe, but due to me deciding to sell the bike I have refitted my stock stator plate with the 85w coil I had, I keep meaning to put the SR plate & flywheel up for sale on here, just haven't got around to it yet!

Yes guys the seat cover was a CEET item.

anymore spec of the bike can be found here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141594181993? ... 1555.l2649
best regards
John
zippy

Post by zippy »

hi john , lovely looking bike had it in my e bay list and following did you sell in the end ,the guys who did the engine would you recommend then ??? as just bought kdx220 as it looks like the standard piston is a weak point so will have somebody do that for me
I am new to the kdx so I have tons of questions I would love to ask you .mine is a 2005 import from usa but checked with uk dealer the vin no and tells me its a 200??? does this really matter as just curious was the kdx an import only to the uk
any help on kdx would be greatly appreciated
many thanks Jason
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

zippy wrote:hi john , lovely looking bike had it in my e bay list and following did you sell in the end ,the guys who did the engine would you recommend then ??? as just bought kdx220 as it looks like the standard piston is a weak point so will have somebody do that for me
I am new to the kdx so I have tons of questions I would love to ask you .mine is a 2005 import from usa but checked with uk dealer the vin no and tells me its a 200??? does this really matter as just curious was the kdx an import only to the uk
any help on kdx would be greatly appreciated
many thanks Jason
Hi Jason,
Yes the bike sold for the full asking price, I would definitely recommend Alec Dorrel motorcycles, they have been around since I was a nipper! had my very first bike from them aged around 10! lol

my paperwork from Kawasaki just confirmed that it was matching numbers and a 2001 bike, didn't even say engine size etc.
most are imports, except for the SR model, which you don't see many around!

any questions try getting me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/john.french.92123

Best Regards
John