Yz250 front master cylinder on my 01 xd..

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I had 2000 yz250 front brake master cylinder I'd been kicking around as to putting on my 01 kdx. Today I took my first long ride since acquiring my dx, and ended up eating dirt face first on a Huge downhill due to the poor (in my opinion) kdx front brake. I got home and replaced the kdx front master cylinder with the akebono branded yz's, and instantly my front brake became a one-finger stopper. It's an awesome upgrade, and I'm sure any other motocross bike master cylinder would work as well. The yz's holds about twice as much fluid, and really just improved the heck out of my front brake. Before the switch, it took a hard pull to lock my front brake, now one stiff finger will instantly slow you down to zero. Food for thought for anyone who thinks they could use a more powerful front on their dx. I was disappointed with mine, and fate stepped in and made my decision for me- and I'm glad I made the switch. I may try the yz rear next! If anyone needs a good kdx front master cylinder, I've got one to sell cheap!
2002 KDX 200
sarrant

Re: Yz250 front master cylinder on my 01 xd..

Post by sarrant »

:hmm:
My KX and KDX both have the same master cylinder: Nissin 304. For the record, that's what is on the brand new KX-Fs & RM-Zz as well.

I think perhaps your old mc just needed rebuilt, or system bled.
Last edited by sarrant on 07:56 pm Jun 16 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Yep, my 01yz250 master cylinder looked pretty similar to the kdx stock master. This kdx SUPPOSEDLY had been rebuilt both in engine and brakes when I bought it, and the pads are new, to my eyes. The fluid was nice and clean, but you could be right. The 99 yz had an akebono branded master cylinder with a bigger fluid reservoir, and it was a marked improvement to me. I had bled the stock kdx brakes before I rode, but it still took a good pull to get them where I wanted them; the akebono cylinder takes two fingers and will almost do a stoppie. It may not be the ticket for everybody, but it doesn't hurt to try if you've got spares. Im a 99% front-brake user, so I barely touch the rear brakes in most cases. The stock was a decent front brake, but I like the front to be as strong as possible. The downhill I came off of the other day I had both brakes to the max and my kdx was still going light speed down the incline. I rode the same hill today and was able to keep a bigger amount of control on the ascent. Like I said, if you've got spares, may as well try them to see if it helps if youre having problems. Honestly, I just like posting ideas and having someone give their opinions and suggestions. Thanks for the reply!
2002 KDX 200
acidjzaz

Post by acidjzaz »

Hey was this of a yz250 2 stroke or the yz250f. They seem to be slightly different and I will probably try this on my KDX with some steel braided lines.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

acidjzaz wrote:Hey was this of a yz250 2 stroke or the yz250f. They seem to be slightly different and I will probably try this on my KDX with some steel braided lines.
I had front brake master cylinders from both a 2000(or 99)and 2001 yz250 2strokes. My 01 mc had seized bolts broken in it so I ended up using the 2000 akebono branded master cylinder. It Improved my brakes considerably. Oddly enough, yesterday I bled both my brakes, replaced the fluids, and tried the stock Kdx mc again just to be sure-and the yz master is indeed a lot better.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

acidjzaz wrote:Hey was this of a yz250 2 stroke or the yz250f. They seem to be slightly different and I will probably try this on my KDX with some steel braided lines.
If your yz master cylinder is a nissin, then its probably the same as the Kdx. My 01 yz had a nissin that looked the same as the Kdx. The braided line will improve the brakes slightly. The 99 yz had an akebono brand master cylinder that holds a lot more fluid, and the piston looks slightly smaller but has a longer stroke in the chamber in relation to lever movement. My Kdx has new pads front and rear, but the stock front took a lot more pull than the akebono master.
2002 KDX 200
acidjzaz

Post by acidjzaz »

Thanks for this. :grin: ..replaced master cylinder with this exact model and it completely changed my stumping power.. Way more control on the down hills when needed... 2 finger braking now
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

i changed mine back to stock a few days ago lol. the yz is stronger, but i put my handguards back on and needed the stock master cylinder to make it fit. Ill sell the yz master cylinder and new lever for $20 if anybody wants it .
2002 KDX 200