1987 KDX 200 pics and issues.

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Do you think that MAY be a problem?? If you have a service manul for your bike, check the clearance. For example, it is .07mm on skipro3's new ride (sorry to not check the '87 manual, but the KX manual was right beside me and the clearances are all about the same). Does that make it more clear as to why I would be wondering?

I suggest you tear down the top end and thoroughly check it out. Please do not let the coolant leak on the ground. Keep it in a container. :mrgreen:

Thanks,
Jason
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I just figured it out !!!! It's overheating !!! There was no cooloant in it !!! :rolleyes: No wonder !!!

It had pretty good compression. I'm going to check the reeds and pull the clutch cover/s of and check it out. I may go ahead and order my mate a manual. What does he expect me to know everything ?!? Thanks for the help Jason. I really believe its the clutch part of the KIPS thats playing up.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

That'll do it every time. :mrgreen:

Since it sounds like you already have the head off, just take the cylinder off and take the cylinder and piston to a machine shop and have them measure each, then subtract the piston measurement from the cylinder measurement.

If it is 1mm of difference, then I don't know how it ran.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

OK well I fixed the clutch and got it started but it wont respond well to full throttle and it surges under deceleration. The big nut that holds the clutch on, well, wasn't. It was loose. The actuator assembly was assembled wrong also. The tab wasn't riding in the groove where it was supposed to be. The spring on the kick starter was jammed between the two big gears.

Now there isn't any kind of A/S on the carb so how do I tune it ?? Would crappy reeds cause it to surge ??

Any other ideas guys ?? :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! A loose clutch nut, incorrectly assembled power valve system and kickstarter spring woes doesn't sound so good. :blink: Poor bike. You've got to help it out.

There is no air screw on my '87 KDX200, either. If everything else is OK, then try changing pilt jets.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Pilot circuit seems real crisp, it's 3/4 throttle and up that it bogs down. What about float level ?? Could that cause it to bog under full throttle and surge under decel. ???

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

On the pilot jets, I was referring to:
Now there isn't any kind of A/S on the carb so how do I tune it ??
Would you have reason to suspect it is electrical related? I have read of some ignition coils, or CDI's (something electrical) cutting out at high RPM.

Have you tried a different main or a plug chop?
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I have no other jets for it yet. It won't go WOT to do a plug chop.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Have you checked for rust under the connections the ignition coil makes to the frame?
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Nope. I will tomorrow. I wonder if the valves are timed properly. I had a bit of a look with a torch but couldn't see the right hand side one properly. So you don't think it could be a float issue ?? With the p/v rod pulled out both vavles should be open, right ??

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

It wouldn't suprise me if it's painted under the coil. The previous owner was more interested in it looking nice than it going.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yes, with the power valve rod pulled out, they should be open. There are little dots on them to line them up properly, but they may be covered in carbon right now.

On the float level, I have never had too much of a problem with that, so the best I can say is to just try it and see. It shouldn't take too long to adjust it and try again.

Keep up the good work!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Thanks for all your help mate.... I'd be lost without ya... :supz:

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey, no problem! I am glad to help, and I like to see a KDX stay up and running. :supz: