New Top End

Got questions? We got answers....
kdx78

New Top End

Post by kdx78 »

Well after sitting in my garage for nearly 2 years Im finally going to fix my baby. I have a couple of questions regarding what parts I should use. Ideally I would love to find a Top End rebuild kit for my 2003 200 so I dont have to order the piston, pin, gaskets, ect. individually. What brand do you guys recommend? Ive been told that the top of the cylinder must be cross hatched as well. Overall Im very excited to begin the process, hopefully by Friday I can start ordering my parts. Thanks!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New Top End

Post by rbates9 »

Being a ten year old bike that has sat for the last two it might be worth your time to do crank seals and bearings while it is apart. Yeah, it is more work but it would suck to do the top end all new and then have to tear it all back down due to a dried out crank seal. And being a plated cylinder you shouldn't hone it. If the bore is still good then clean it with a scotch bright pad and WD-40 if needed.
kdx78

Re: New Top End

Post by kdx78 »

Im weary to get into the bottom end of the bike as Im not the best mechanic. I feel the top end should be an easy enough job. I have the motor torn down to where the the piston is showing. After I get the old piston off I was going to inspect the crank and if its still tight I was just going to leave it as is. Bike had relatively little use over the years.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New Top End

Post by rbates9 »

There is a walk thru on splitting the cases that someone put up. It really isn't that big of a job once you get going. And my bike had seen little use and sat for a few years before I bought it. Then the crank bearings went... Sitting is probably worse for the bottom end then being ridden all the time. Riding them keeps thing moving and wet.