What is "clutch drag"??

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

??? My KDX250 DOES have a clutch problem. It is the one I was talking about when I mentioned it creping forward when the clutch lever is pulled in. It is also the one with the few dimples on the plates.

I haven't done a side by side comparison, but I doubt that the KDX250 plates are as small as the KDX200 plates.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
Jason wrote: I never had any clutch problems with my '87 or '94, so I never had to learn much about the clutch.
Sorry Jason. This from an earlier post confused me on which bike we were discussing.

The 91 KDX250 is new to you and I forgot you had it and the problem was related to it, even though you said it was. Ha!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

No problem! I know you will get confused on what goes where on your two bikes! :mrgreen:

By the way, if you have a Rocky Mountain printerd catalog, my KDX250 clutch plates look like the metal plates made by Tusk on those two pages.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Jason - A FYI

Concerning clutch basket replacement or upgrade. A guy who goes by the name of 'Storming Norman' developed steel finger inserts for clutch baskets. He took your old outer clutch basket and machine out the finger areas where the friction discs tabs fit.

Then stainless steel inserts were fitted into each space and the end result was a clutch basket with better durability than OEM and it was about 1/2 - 2/3 the cost of a Hinson outer basket. (no drilling and riveting of basket was also a plus)

I don't know if this guy is still in business (he was semi-retired a few years ago) and I believe was attempting to sell his patented process to a big name company.

Anyone have a current contact for Storming Norman? I'll look again to see if I can find his business/web site.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. Thanks for the information. That sounds like an interesting concept. The Hinson baskets I have seen are for 1992 and newer KX250.

If you find that information, please let me know.

Thanks again.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

This is old info so not sure if it still good.

Storming Norman Racing - basket wear inserts $90 includes machining of clutch basket. 724 722-3630
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hmm! Thanks for the information!

For now, I think I am just going to buy one of those Motion Pro clutch/flywheel holder tools and take the basket off and file it. I want to see if that will help before calling him.