which pipe DESERT VS WOODS

Got questions? We got answers....
the trail rider

which pipe DESERT VS WOODS

Post by the trail rider »

ok first thread here. got a 2002 220 and I havent done anything to it but put a silencer on it (good mid range boost). plan on putting a wiseco in and also doing the 607reeds or the carbon pros. plan on rejetting and getting a pipe. I know I want an fmf. I do mountain trail riding in western washington. so which pipe do you think is good for me WOODS OR DESERT. thanks :grin:
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

get the one you like :grin:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the site. There are a few members here from that region, so they may be familiar with the type of terrain you are going to be riding on, and they can give you a recommendation.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Welcome!
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Welcome!

What are your reasons for wanting to run a FMF? Not that there is anything wrong with FMF, I just want to know your reasoning behind "knowing you want a FMF".

I am runnning the PC plat. II pipe on my 220. I choose this pipe because it was supposed to be a little of both (rev and low). Also, because FMF was having some fitment issues at the time. For me, it was a good choice at the time. I was just getting back into riding after many, many, many, many years. After advancing from a ST beginner all the way up to an awsomely marginal C rider, it's time to find more run out. I'd like to get some more RPM's out of each gear. I find at the pace I ride now, that often 2nd is wound out but 3rd won't cut it for the next obsticle. Changing gear ratio to 13/50 with the 110/100-18 brought the gears closer, but I still need to shift more than I should have to. RB is next on the list. After that....maybe a Rev pipe.

The point of my story is...Choose what fits your needs now, but be prepared for the fact that at some later point your wants and needs may/will change. Especially as you get more comfortable with the nuianses of the KDX and how it compares with other bikes you sneak rides on. It's a process not a science. :wink:

If you ride mostly 2nd and 3rd gear tight, twisty ST with lots of elevation changes you'll probably like the bottom end the "woods" pipe enhances (it'll also help top end a bit too). If you ride more open mostly 3rd gear and up, you would probably like "desert" pipe as it will add run out to each gear. The optimal thing would be to have both pipes! :mrgreen:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
the trail rider

I ride mostly 1 through 3rd gear and sometimes 4th. I am always in the tight woods that have lots of elevation change. my reason for choosing fmf is just brand preference. I have heard that the woods pipe there is barely a change in power and some say there is good change in power. on the other hand people say the rev is not going to take away any low end and is going to add to the mid range and top end dramatically. I am also wondering if anybody has the rev pipe on their 220 and ride in tight mountainous woods. and for those who have either pipe tell me pretty much what i would want based on your experience.
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

the trail rider wrote: I am also wondering if anybody has the rev pipe on their 220 and ride in tight mountainous woods.
I believe Skipro3 (AKA Jerry) has that combo.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Ski has a FMF Torque (Woods) profile pipe.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
the trail rider

come on someone must have one of these two pipes on their 220 and have an opinion on one or both. I am still confused on which one to get :?

when in doubt gas it!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't know what there is to be confused about....
If you want overall performance gain with focus on the bottom end get the woods pipe. If you want overall performace gains with focus on the top end get the rev.

SIMPLE! :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I run the REV. Thepipe changes the powerband and probably adds a few ponies also. There IS NOT a major hit just a more noticable powerband from mid to top rpms. I ride mountains and have yet to be thrown from the bike do to its MAJOR HIT. It's throttle control-Point and Shot type of thing. I think you will be disappointed with the woods, but I may be wrong
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
the trail rider

sounds Like the rev may be what I want. but I still havent gotten an opinion from a guy with a woods pipe on his 220. so I dont know.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

We could go around and around with this for weeks. Your going to get all kinds of opinions. :wink:

So, here it is...I'll go ahead and make the decision for you! :mrgreen:

Forget the pipe. Do this:
THE PRO wrote:And if you want to get rid of all clutch creep and poor performance, send your clutch to Garry at EFM. I feel like a preacher hounding his congregation, but I tell you; that auto clutch has given me more riding pleasure and performance than all the other mods put together. If I only had one mod to do or had to choose between the autoclutch and all the other mods ever, I'd choose the auto clutch hands down. That's how much I enjoy riding with it.
If not the above...just choose one pipe or the other. If you don't like it, get the other one and ebay the one you don't like! :partyman:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I've got the woods pipe on mine. I like it, but I've never ridden with the rev pipe. I ride mostly tight twisty stuff, but when the terrain opens up, my bike feels pretty flat at the top end. I compensate by short-shifting to keep my buddies KX250 in sight. I'd like to get a rev pipe to try it out, but I do like the torque my bike has now. Keep in mind I ride at very high altitudes 9,000-13,000' and I do not yet have a modified head. This might make the behavior of the pipes a lot different from what you would feel. If I had to be safe, I'd recommend the rev pipe, you'll probably like that one best overall.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
the trail rider

how about a woods pipe with carbon pro reeds, a turbine core II silencer, a wiseco piston and a r&b bored carb or better yet an airstriker. who here has that setup and likes it. :grin: IT should be a pretty wide powerband

when in doubt gas it!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You know you are talking about a grand here right? :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
the trail rider

I already have the the silencer. and I have enough money to pay for everything except the bored carb. since it rains here in washington a lot I think i am going to make it a winter project for the most part and get the carb last.

when in doubt gas it!
the trail rider

ok after reading some threads I have come to the conclusion that the woods doesnt do a whole lot for the 220 but the rev doesnt take anything away from the bottom end and adds to the whole powerband. the rev doesnt have a major hit just more power than you are used to throughout the rev range. so my question is who has a rev pipe and loves it and uses it for extreme mountainous woods riding and is it usable out there

when in doubt gas it!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
the trail rider wrote:how about a woods pipe with carbon pro reeds, a turbine core II silencer, a wiseco piston and a r&b bored carb or better yet an airstriker. who here has that setup and likes it. :grin: IT should be a pretty wide powerband
I have that set-up except I have VForce III reeds instead of carbon pro. And I have the airstriker modded at RB Designs. I love my woods pipe. I have tons of bottom end and due to proper jetting I can loft the front end extremely easily in 3rd if that is what I want to do. In tight woods, you won't be revving up enough to use the Rev pipe in my opinion. I like to short shift and use the torque, not horsepower to crawl up things in the tight woods. If I rode open country, then it might be different, but I don't think so. I find the woods pipe to be everything I want it to be. BTW I have a FMF Fatty pipe that will fit your bike if you want to try it out. It's dirty but in good shape and has a carbon fiber pipe guard on it. I've never used it, but with all the hype of the rev pipes, I couldn't pass it up on eBay for what I paid for it. I know, a rev pipe and a fatty are two different things. Yea, right. My eyeballing the two say there isn't enough difference for my uneducated butt to tell the difference. Ha!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
the trail rider wrote:ok after reading some threads I have come to the conclusion that the woods doesnt do a whole lot for the 220 but the rev doesnt take anything away from the bottom end and adds to the whole powerband. the rev doesnt have a major hit just more power than you are used to throughout the rev range. so my question is who has a rev pipe and loves it and uses it for extreme mountainous woods riding and is it usable out there
I do, works great
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr