91 kdx250 white oil looks like milk?

Got questions? We got answers....
caseywoods5

Post by caseywoods5 »

Today noticed through my oil bubble that my oil was white, I drained it and it looked like pure milk, but smelled like oil, it also had a VERY slight greenish tint to it. I changed it and put fresh oil in, rode it some and looked through the bubble and checked it, white like milk again. What's the problem? What's going on? I'm thinking head gasket, what do you guys think? It runs perfect and starts first kick every time even when cold and idles smooth as can be. Help is appreciated. If no response before long I'm going to get about 5 quarts of generic atv oil and run it until warm, drain, repeat through those 5 quarts and see if the color leaves thinking it may just be something lingering in the cases like when you submerge your bike, but need your all's input on it. All help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!
caseywoods5

Post by caseywoods5 »

ALSO, I checked my antifreeze in the rad and noticed it was a little low, I topped it off so also going to keep an eye on it to see if it goes down, if it does then that would confirm the head gasket being the issue. Again, thanks in advance for any and all help!
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: 91 kdx250 white oil looks like milk?

Post by royadams »

Probably the water pump seals. Head gasket does not connect to the transmission.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

+1

And when you get the coolant leak fixed it will take several oil changes to get all of the milk out.

Or you could just dump the antifreeze and fill the radiators with oil and then you just have to drain a little oil from the transmission and dump it back in the radiators now and then! :lol: I am kidding, don't do that.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

water pump seal, even possibly a worn shaft.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
caseywoods5

Post by caseywoods5 »

Yeah I didn't even think about where the head gasket doesn't connect to the transmission, oops haha. So water pump seals it is, how hard are they to change on a kdx? This is the first kawasaki I've ever owned so I don't know much about it but I've done a fair share of work on other stuff, I'm thinking
I would just have to pull the pump cover off and I could get to the seals through that, is that right? Thanks for the help so far guys its greatly appreciated!
caseywoods5

Post by caseywoods5 »

Well I took the cover off and got to the seal today, looks like the past owner knew it was bad because behind the seal was filled full of silicone and the seal looked pretty rough, going to order a seal now. My antifreeze came out black! Hopefully this seal will get it fixed, looking to go riding soon!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! Sorry to hear he did that to the poor bike. :naughty:
caseywoods5

Post by caseywoods5 »

Sorry it took so long to reply, my seals are supposed to be delivered today and I'll get them put in, may put just a tad of high temp silicone behind each seal but not sure. But I'm replacing both seals and the cover gasket. Got 5 quarts of oil to run through it to clear everything out, then the final quart of good oil that I will be running in it. Can't wait to get to ride it!!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Skip the silly-cone.

Good luck with it.
caseywoods5

Post by caseywoods5 »

They came in and I got them put in, but I did use just a little high temp silicone behind the seals for extra assurance, did 6 oil changes, now the oil is pretty and brown again. Noticed a leak around my kick starter seal after riding it though so going to order one for that, should be easy to change just pull off the kicker, pop out the old one and put in the new one. Thanks for the help so far guys I wouldn't have thought about the waterpump seals being the problem.