Moving headlight and taillight

Got questions? We got answers....
nightfiref7efi
Supporting Member

Post by nightfiref7efi »

anyone know how much weight I would loose by removing headlight and taillight and replacing it with mx style? Next I have searched but haven't really found a definite answer to what number plate and rear fender eeveryone is running. If you have any pictures that would be awsome.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Moving headlight and taillight

Post by bufftester »

What year/model? Headlight is going to give you a couple pounds, any modern front plate can be made to work with just a little effort. Most run a Maier MX rear fender. I have seen a couple folks use late model KX rears, but it takes a lot more massaging to get it to look good. IMO not a lot of benefit from removing the headlight for the cost of a new plate. Kind of like removing the tool bag, sure it cuts weight, but you lose storage, etc etc etc. not much bang for the buck. The rear fender is purely cosmetic, and that's money that could go to things like new bearings, tires, etc (I'm just cheap and don't really care what the bike looks like on the trailer tho lol). Of course, all that being said I did do a Hybrid build which in many's opinions is a waste of money as well :hmm:
nightfiref7efi
Supporting Member

Post by nightfiref7efi »

2001 kdx 220
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I am on the same page as bufftester. I hardly ever ride at night but can't see loosing it for the weight savings. I have been out during the day and had a storm role in and needed the light to get out of the woods. I would guess that swapping out the headlight and the rear fender will save you less then 4 pounds. To me that is not worth the $100+ it will cost to make it happen. And before any one tells me it can be done for $85, I don't care.

If you are just looking to save weight then IMHO the KDX is probably not for you. They are heavy bikes when compared to the modern bikes. And there was a weigh off before between a KDX with normal accessories and a KX hybrid and the weight savings were less then 5 pounds in favor of the hybrid. And when I weighed my KDX it had a trials tire on it. I weighed my trials tire with a ultra heavy duty tube and my knobby and there was also a 5 pound difference.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

rbates9 wrote:I am on the same page as bufftester. I hardly ever ride at night but can't see loosing it for the weight savings. I have been out during the day and had a storm role in and needed the light to get out of the woods. I would guess that swapping out the headlight and the rear fender will save you less then 4 pounds. To me that is not worth the $100+ it will cost to make it happen. And before any one tells me it can be done for $85, I don't care.

If you are just looking to save weight then IMHO the KDX is probably not for you. They are heavy bikes when compared to the modern bikes. And there was a weigh off before between a KDX with normal accessories and a KX hybrid and the weight savings were less then 5 pounds in favor of the hybrid. And when I weighed my KDX it had a trials tire on it. I weighed my trials tire with a ultra heavy duty tube and my knobby and there was also a 5 pound difference.
I agree completely! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

A woods bike just doesn't look as glamorous without the enduro fender and lighting.
bazzman

Post by bazzman »

Goofaroo wrote:A woods bike just doesn't look as glamorous without the enduro fender and lighting.
AMEN! :bravo:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

maier MX fender

love the looks of if and i've honoustly considered swapping that fender onto my plated KDX with a tail/brake light mounted underneath it
i agree the stock KDX lighting looks outdated at best but there are other option i like better

ebay headlight for 45 dollars shipped

(the bike on the right has the maier rear fender)

newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

This may be an option if you want the taillight with the Maier rear fender. The brand is DRC Phantom. Amazingly enough, the mounting holes on the light line up precisely with the existing holes in the Maier fender, which line up precisely with the mounting bracket on the subframe. It's a win, win. :supz:
ImageImage
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Nice collection of violet, sir!

Is the Maier fender supposed to stick up that much??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

thanks, here she is in her new livery
http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=twins

as for the angle, i got a feeling the previous ownwer might have taken a wheelie a bit too far, i had to straighten out the subframe that the rear fender bolts on
it may still be up to high, but at least it is straight now
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike