1980 KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
tom42191

1980 KDX

Post by tom42191 »

I'm looking to trade an rifle and some ammo for a 1980 KDX 250, I value to rifle and ammo and around $500-550. Had a couple questions

1. Having a real difficult time finding parts on the web. Specifically the throttle cable and carb rebuilt kit and or parts.

2. Bike currently does not run. Owner says it needs carb work... How hard would it be to flush the system and adjust

3. Where would you put the value on a bike like this ( I know I have given little info, its all I really have right now.

I have ridden dirt bikes before but this would be my first one to own. Pretty handy person, what I dont already know (which is a ton) i'm pretty good about looking it up and following instruction.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1980 KDX

Post by dfeckel »

The carb could be a problem for you, depending on how well the bike was maintained, how recently it's been run, or how old the gas in the carb is. There's a good chance you can get carb parts from Jets R Us, and there's always eBay for NOS parts. Big parts like bearings and pistons and even gaskets aren't too hard to find, but the little stuff is hit or miss. On my '83 KDX 250, I ended up using a more modern Keihin carb with the throttle and cable from a used newer KX 250 because the original Mikuni carb was unusable. However, the Wiseco oversize piston was readily available, as was gaskets, seals and engine bearings.
Regarding value, if the bike is rideable, complete, everything works, and it has new tires, chain and sprockets, it might be worth upwards of $1000. But an '80 KDX fitting that description is rare as hen's teeth. If the bike is complete, rideable, but needs a few things, I'd say it would be worth in the $600 neighborhood. If it doesn't run, and it's truly only due to carb issues, then $400 is fair if all else is okay. What is most likely, however, is that the bike was put away wet a long time ago, the tires and driveline are shot, the plastics are chalky and trashed, the forks need seals, the chassis bearings need replacement, it has low compression, and the seat cover is torn. These bikes are worth $200 if you're feeling frisky for garage work, but I got mine for $80. :razz:
David Eckel
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

1980 KDX

Post by rbates9 »

In the current state of the nation I wouldn't trade a gun and ammo for anything. You might need it and before long won't be able to get it.

Personally I wouldn't be all that interested in a 1980 dirt bike of any make or model for your only bike. A toy, yes. But if you are looking for a bike to go riding every weekend I would look for something newer. The 95+ 200's can be had for cheap and the parts are still available when you need them with out waiting for some one to put it on ebay. Just my .02
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

1980 KDX

Post by KDXGarage »

Wait for a newer, liquid cooled model and put some cash with the gun.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
tom42191

Post by tom42191 »

Thanks guys, you confirmed my suspicions. Will be staying away. Awesome site btw!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

you could always take the gun and "ask" for the bike :lol:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike