rear caliper overhaul

Got questions? We got answers....
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

rear caliper overhaul

Post by pumpguy »

I'm looking at the rear caliper of my '97 kdx 220 and see the pins that the caliper slides on are corroded. Kaw doesn't list them so I assume not available. The pin on the 14079 holder has a hex so I assume it's removable, but what about the pin in the caliper housing?

Has anyone ever replaced just these pins, or am I stuck with replacing the whole assembly? If the pins are replaceable, what material was used? I have a lathe and could make them if that's possible.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

rear caliper overhaul

Post by rbates9 »

I would clean up what you have and reuse it before making new parts. It is not a wrist watch, a little wear will just leave more room for grease. :grin: After all the rear brake is more of a novelty on a KDX than a featherable brake.
Enduro_Mayhem

Re: rear caliper overhaul

Post by Enduro_Mayhem »

+1... clean the pins and re-use is probably your best bet - there really shouldn't be any wear/damage evident as the pins themselves don't take much abuse during normal use.
Flyin' the Flag for Team Vintage
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

rear caliper overhaul

Post by pumpguy »

Thanks for the replies.

After thinking about this situation some more, I've decided to accept your advice. These pins appear to never have been lubricated. One of the rubber boots failed, which didn't help. I get kind of anal when I see corroded working parts like this, but that's just me.

A new boot and pads, clean and lubricate, and I should be good to go.