Front brake drag?

Got questions? We got answers....
southernend

Front brake drag?

Post by southernend »

Bought an 87 KDX200 couple weeks ago after 15-17yrs with out riding.Been buying an fixing up several items.Needred new air filter and swing arm chain guards. Also bought Fredette chain guide because stock was broken and PO had chain running outside it lol.For some reason he had both axles in reverse also. My question is how much front brke drag should there be on these bikes? After removing and greasing font axle front tire spun free.After applying brake and letting go tire only spins about 1/3 around.Does this sound normal? I can't fluid because brake reservoir's screws are rusted tight. Gonna buy that now I guess. Any answers would be much appreciated-thanks.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Front brake drag?

Post by Goofaroo »

You need to disassemble and clean the caliper and the master cylinder. The return hole in your mastercylinder is probably blocked with debris. I rebuilt an 87 model a few months ago and as I recall, I was able to use all the old parts from the mastercylinder. However, I had to replace the dust seals and piston seal on the caliper. Once I got everything cleaned, greased, and replaced the fluid it works perfectly and actually is a pretty nice setup.

Here's a link to my build if you're interested- http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=12771

It seems like there's a lot of the C models popping up on here lately. It's good to see that there is still some interest in them. We need pics of you new toy.
southernend

Front brake drag?

Post by southernend »

Thanks for the quick reply.Yeah I gotta get that reservoir off but that baby's on there! If not guess I'll be buying a new one. Love your XR by the way.Even though I never owned one they were one of my favorites back in the old days(the 80's). Last bike I ownec was a mid 80's Husky 430 two stroke.Talk about power! Should never had sold it,I was told I could never find parts for it. I was an idiot.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Front brake drag?

Post by Goofaroo »

I've pretty much decided on a mid 80's Husky for my next project. A 430 would be preferable but I'd take a 250 if the right one came along.

My XR is the one bike that I will never sell. I've had it for about 20 years and I've bought a few more modern bikes that just didn't stack up to my XR so they had to go away. I also bought a KTM 640 Adventure for some trips we take to Colorado and I wanted street capability. The whole time I was there I missed the XR so when I got home I sold the KTM and put a dualsport kit on the XR and have never looked back.

I have to say that I am enjoying the 87 KDX. I built it for my son but he still hasn't shown much interest and he rode very little this past season so I'm going to dial it in for me and run it through it's paces next season. I really like the package and I think all I need to do is set the sag on the rear, add some bar risers, and possibly some stiffer fork springs. Other than that, I love the motor and the seat is at least as comfortable as my XR.