lowering and tire thoughts

Got questions? We got answers....
eflip74

lowering and tire thoughts

Post by eflip74 »

Hi all new here and back to riding after 18yrs on my 2003 kdx 220r. A big change from the mxrs I was used to but really like the bike overall could use a little more grunt but timid and comfy for relearning. I'm looking to run local scrambles and find my bike a little tall. I'm 5'10' and was wondering if lowering links hurt the performance of the suspension. Also seems like a little wider rear tire would hook up better. Any thoughts or suggestions highly appreciated!
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: lowering and tire thoughts

Post by Goofaroo »

At 5'10" I'm not sure why you would feel the need to lower the bike. Post some pics here. Maybe someone has added a tall seat that is making it uncomfortable for you. However, to answer your question, lowering the bike will reduce the available suspension travel as well as your ground clearance.

As for the wider tire, it won't help and the heavier weight will just make the bike feel a bit slower.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

maybe check to see if the suspension sag is set up properly?
then again, im 6 even and i have to tippie toe the bike when im at a light aswell so it may be a bit too tall for you
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Two thoughts on this. The KDX has a super cushy seat. If you narrow the seat sides your legs won't be as spread giving you more reach. Second, I hate lowering links, they make your spring rate softer by adding leverage and won't allow the shock to bottom before the tire slams the fender. The KDX forks are so easy to shorten, as well as the shock. If narrowing the seat isn't enough, do it internally. Not much more cost and far better.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200