cant get it to idle

Got questions? We got answers....
ICRage42
Supporting Member

cant get it to idle

Post by ICRage42 »

95 kdx 200 btw

rode it for an hour yesterday trying to get a decent clicker setting with my fat butt. Air screw does nothing and doesnt idle. Keep a little on the throttle and ride it like you stole it with no problems. I was more confident with the new bearings and whatnot and let er rip. Thought well just ride for a bit might clear up and nope still doesnt idle. Starts first kick too.

Air leak maybe?

Only thing Ive done so far is tear it all apart and clean frame bearings and replaced reeds in engine. The airbox had a mouse filter and bike ran at a high idle before I got into it. Now runs a shitload better but doesnt idle at all.

Kinda lost here. Gonna take a better look at it but if something came across before would help.

Thanks again.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Re: cant get it to idle

Post by TheJackRabbit »

does it get any better with the choke on?
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

How is the float valve needle and seat on this 19 year old bike??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

cant get it to idle

Post by turtle »

Clogged pilot jet?
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

cant get it to idle

Post by SS109 »

I know this is simple but did you try adjusting the idle screw (not the air screw) up a bit?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
ICRage42
Supporting Member

cant get it to idle

Post by ICRage42 »

well not to sound stupid but in regards to the carb I suppose I am stupid :lol:

Never tore into a dirtbike ever however rebuilt tons of cars. If it was a holley carb I could get er goin good. So I guess I have some tinkerin skills.

When I first got the bike it ran superb which is why I bought it. Idled great ran crisp on the throttle. Already jetted for the area /elevation.

All I did was replace the reeds and gasket there. Rebuilt everything else and left engine alone till I can get er super clean to do a top end. Piston looked new from exhaust and intake side. Pulled the plug and used a camera down the hole and piston top and rings and cylinder wall looked just recently rebuilt like someones elses builds here. So never got further into engine.

Reeds were worn. Bought boysen power reeds.

Now the bike had the deck screw stripped bolts. I couldnt get seat off. When I got it home it had a mouse nest in it.

Im thinking he adjusted carb to run with less airflow. Or with that in there adjusted it to make it run like it did.

Airbox is clean and new filter.

I have the manual and will venture further with the idle screw. Checked air leaks and I cleaned carb with piano wire various sizes. If I give er a little throttle shes a dream machine again.

Side note and just thought of it now. Changed the throttle cable as well. It was easy and did it by manual could I of disturbed something doing that?

If I choke it ....it dies.

Like I said rode it for a while yesterday and I am VERY VERY PLEASED! I got 6 ft air on that sucker thanks to bufftesters linkage :lol: Jumped my drive atleast 20 times. Just couldnt stop otherwise first kick start again.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ill look into the idle screw more I was always taught if you dont know what your doing there dont mess with it. Ill venture through here on some post and look into the manual again and go from there. Thanks for some ideas on what might be going on.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Usually you will need to lean out pilot circuit when you install a set of reeds.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, it sounds like your pilot/air screw is rich. If you care for a holley at all you should love this PWK :mrgreen:

Two idle screws....One is a throttle stop/idle speed. The other is the air screw. It's a bleed to fine adjust the pilot jet. If you need more adjustment than the screw can provide, you need to change the pilot.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

We've said it here time and time again, now that she's all cleaned up and ready, go here and follow all the steps: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=1156. Nothing to jetting these carbs, just takes a little patience and time. Glad to hear the link is working for you!
ICRage42
Supporting Member

cant get it to idle

Post by ICRage42 »

Yea read that post a zillion times now and also have it printed for garage. Didnt get a chance to look at it today maybe after work tommorrow. Will report back after.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

cant get it to idle

Post by ICRage42 »

well Ive found my problem or rather my problem found me.

Clutch!

I dont ride the clutch and rode tons of others dirtbikes back in the day but mainly rode street bikes. Ive never had a clutch "go" like this however.

It went like this

Went out and cleaned carb AGAIN! hahaha. Checked for air leaks went all over bike. New ATF in. Starts up and idles. A bit fast but this could be from me earlier. ITS IDLIN!! so I change and go for a spin. Get out and in the yard and shes a beast again. No jetting concerns all over again. Fresh mix and a big smile on face.

So just trottin it and gettin on it airscrew works and BAM bike feels like its runnin rich boggin fallin on its face and wont idle. Clutch is just gone nothing instantly looked to make sure I didnt snap anything. All good. Then I had clutch but NOW shes slipping and bad like i had been ignoring signs. Pushed it back into garage. It went like that in 3 seconds. Clutch felt a little weird about two weeks ago and adjusted to manual and all was good. So I put new atf in and in neutral and whalla back running again like a beast. Knew if I engaged clutch and put in gear was going to do the same.

So Im going to order a new clutch kit and clutch cable (not needed but might as well) mon. Does anyone have suggestions? I was thinking about a tusk kit with heavy duty springs. I dont need anything fancy right now. I plan on doing the top end soon and if need be splitting cases if having to do a rod bearing. Engine was so dirty couldnt do it before. Now shes cleaned up alot.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Sounds like the clutch basket is notched. Pull the discs out and see if the outer basket has grooves worn in it. If it does you can file them flat.
Thrahl

Post by Thrahl »

What ATF are you using? It should be Type F otherwise you can run into some issues.
I would take off the clutch cover and inspect everything before buying parts. Maybe your clutch nut is loose. Maybe the basket is notched in which case you can do what royadams said and file it down.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

cant get it to idle

Post by ICRage42 »

well its a bike that sat for a while so hence the buying a cable and kit. Might as well tearing it apart anyway.

Ok take ya through the steps I did.

Bike ran superb! Then clutch felt a bit weird. Not notched not slipping just not adjusted right. Changed the oil. Yes type f. Dark looking 10/30 a bit of grey in it.

Rode bike the other day and was great at first then started not idling. No slipping tho or so I thought in clutch. Engine boggin. Went throught everything no air leaks and changed fluid again.

Ran freakin great for a bit prolly before getting warmed up it seemed. Then slip slip slip. Stopped it and put it in garage. Just weird went QUICK compared to other bikes Ived had never had a dirt one myself but street a ton.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

I did not mean the clutch feels notched. If the basket has notches in it the clutch discs get stuck in there. So one minute the clutch won't disengage, the next it won't catch and slips.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

cant get it to idle

Post by ICRage42 »

ok so this might be periodic or so but when fluid warms it does it. When cold no probs get about 10 mins of riding with no ridges straight balls at first and it just dwindles. No clutch and whalla no idle no fun bogs I have more fun on the rascal scooter for old people. Let it cool and its a beast again. Rinse repeat.

Is that typical of a notched basket? Gonna tear it apart here mon. Just weird I can make a clutch last on a street bike for some time. I think .....and again I THINK ....the bike sat for a while. Could it be that perhaps some of the plates werent submerged in fluid for a while and perhaps Im getting a partial degrade? Thoughts?

New kits on the way well mon it will start ...cable and gasket as well as some nifty bark busters and rear tube and rim lock.

Pullin some G's out of a turn in the yard and whalla bike is giving a sway. All new bearings and broke in and just had a weird feeling.

Checked rear rim all fine and kinda true kenda trackmaster on rear and all good but now I hear a rattle of parts in the tube. Sealant? Hence the new tube and rim lock.

Bought it off a member here and well it better be a wedding ring tossing in there. Rofl.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

cant get it to idle

Post by canyncarvr »

ICRage42 wrote: Clutch!

Does anyone have suggestions? I was thinking about ...... heavy duty springs.

Get an XR kit with Vesra plates from FRP. 'Heavy duty springs' are a waste of time and money....besides being useless for the intended application.

This post only a reference for others looking for clutch recommendations, as I understand you already bought something else.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
ICRage42
Supporting Member

cant get it to idle

Post by ICRage42 »

actually no and thanks for suggestion. Nope waiting till monday to tear apart and order then. So this works out great for me will check out for sure.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

cant get it to idle

Post by ICRage42 »

well so we dont have any more misunderstandings I didnt mean NO i will not look into that kit you suggested.

I meant I havent ordered one yet. I was waiting till monday to do so. I did check that out but tbh it looked kinda low end. Maybe it was just the site I apologize but its something I look at. Its like looking for a job and if you see the parking lot all has nice cars they must make good money there. So I was a bit hesitant. Gonna get just something for now here I pulled it apart and whalla plates looked weird in a sense not all over just in parts. So possibly why I was feeling it at times. Old and sat so I keep expecting more.

I changed oil and put back together for now till kit comes.

Kinda of a side question the vent hose for the case. I think a member posted here about a mysterious nipple at case. I know its the vent hose and I cleared mine (clogged) and it goes to the airbox on the loop. Do you then run it behind the mudguard? With this clogged could I have done damage to the clutch?