spliting ccases on 89 kdx 200 ..suggestions?

Got questions? We got answers....
junkman

Post by junkman »

I got a 89 kdx 200 just rebuilt the top end but figured out needed crank seals BAD smokes very bad cant believe it but anyways I'm going to have to split the cases I have the book and everything but any suggestions on how to make it come apart beater and or quicker and is there anyway I could but something in the oil or do something to the crank seal to make it stop leating all the oil in.. probly not but thought id ask thank you.. :doh:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: spliting ccases on 89 kdx 200 ..suggestions?

Post by Julien D »

There are unfortunately no good tricks for fixing a leaking crank seal, short of replacing it. First, where is oil getting in? Are you burning transmission oil? Does your transmission oil smell like gasoline? Is there oil behind the stator cover? Just trying to clear that up before we go much further. As for tips, you are in luck. The illustrious rbates9 has provided us with a sticky, dedicated completely to this very subject. :partyman:

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=12241
junkman

Post by junkman »

haha yeah didn't think so and I haven't checked the oil well I checked it but didn't smell it but I changed the oil like right after I herd it it run then I rode it around for 5 min and was smoking bad but there was antifreeze down in the bottom of the crank from when I took it apart (didn't think to drain it) so I put a little oil in there while it sat because it took weeks for the parts to come in so I didn't want it to rust up but that's what I tought it was at first(why it was smoking so bad) but then after running it for 30 min doing heat cycles it didn't clear up but I looked in the oil glass and there was nothing but if I leaned the bike all the way over I would see the oil and the oil was still a nice gold brown not like gas was in it and I put a whole quart of oil in it when I did the oil change... so I have no idea haha :rolleyes:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Hard to judge by smoke. Are you for sure losing transmission oil, and it's not leaking out onto the ground?
junkman

Post by junkman »

Uea its not leaking out on the ground but smells like oil like trans oil but when i put the header pipe on it was caked with old crusty oil like vary think but ill put a jug of used motor oil in it
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

put a jug of used motor oil in it??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
junkman

Post by junkman »

Yea so im not wasting good oil
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You may want to clean out the pipe and spark arretor/silencer to eliminate those two variables. (old built up oil/carbon inside them)

Fill the oil to the proper level, with the bike level, then ride/run it for a while and after allowing it to drain back into place, measure again. If it is lower, then the engine has a leaking right crankcase seal.

If you get bored, read up on vacuum and pressure testing. A vacuum test would be used in this case.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0071/
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

junkman wrote:Yea so im not wasting good oil

if it wasnt good enough to stay in whatever engine you drained this out off...why in the world would it be good enough to go into the KDX?

old oil is only good for one thing....reconditioning old drive chains :boogie:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

diymirage wrote:
junkman wrote:Yea so im not wasting good oil

if it wasnt good enough to stay in whatever engine you drained this out off...why in the world would it be good enough to go into the KDX?

old oil is only good for one thing....reconditioning old drive chains :boogie:
Exactly! Do you really want to subject your transmission bearings/bushings and your clutch discs to used, contaminated oil? Not me! I would rather burn through the good stuff or, better yet, fix the problem!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

A quart of shitty bulk oil is $2.... Don't put used oil in it FFS...
'00 KDX 220R
junkman

Post by junkman »

I didnt but were in the hell do you get oil for 2$ theres no were near me that sells that haha. And i thought about buting used oil in it and decited not to . buttttt split cases today and it was a pain in the ASS well wasnt to bad but was up there i have done a cople cases and this one was kinda hard but seen worse anyways i put a brand new topend on it and wheen i took it apart the the pisstonwas scored but the reason was the head had dents and scoring on it like a ring bleew up and got smushed onto the head yes the head not the jug so my question it is there like 0 clearens from the piston to the head becouse the piston has the indents from the head an if there is anyone out there that has a used 89 kdx200 head it ill pay for it i dont got much money so im going to have to sell somthing to get the money but please help me out... Also the bearing is stuck in the case and cant get it out any suggestions there? And the crank is stuck in the other half of the case hahaahha so any help or anything let me know ill post some pics tomarow thank you
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Clearance in there is pretty slim. There's no room for chunks of metal anyway. I may have an e series head out in the shed, I will check. For the record, grammar and punctuation go a long way. That was pretty painful to read.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
junkman

Post by junkman »

Ok thanks and i bet it was im using my phone and its slow so it skips words or adds words in and it just might be my grammar sorry about that im in 7th grade with a low readin and righting and obvisaly grammar skill not my choice of class haha . But yea let me no and also im sure i shouldnt but seeing how i have no moneyy do you think i should run a used pistion i have a hone an stuff but i know it wont hurt it but i have no money to buy a. New one so let me know sorry for all the questions .
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Your phone may add and delete things but you still have the power of prof reading before sending. And what the $#@& is with everyone talking about their problems and having to start and end with that stupid "haha" bull ****? Most of us, or at least I don't care if your giggling or touching your self or what ever the hell your doing. This is a web site. Not a text message. There is the little faces to the right if you feel the need to express emotion.

But you do not want to use a hone on your cylinder because unless it has been sleeved it has a plated bore and honing will destroy it.

If money is tight and you can not afford a new piston but can find a very good used piston then give it a try. Don't expect a long happy life out of it. It may go a long time but it may not.
junkman

Post by junkman »

Well ok there buddy no need to get angry and yea i do go back and proof read but my "ela" skills arnt to good i didnt come on this site to get made fun of or what ever i came on here for advice and the site is kdx rider not $#@&ing gramer school .. And yea its been sleved and yea i change pistions in my bikes the 2 strokes atleast every 2-2 1/2 years but the piston would only be in there for a cople months till i got money
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

rbates9 wrote:Your phone may add and delete things but you still have the power of prof reading before sending.

whats prof reading Batesy?
running it by your professor? :lol:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If there was metal floating about in there scoring things up, the piston is almost certainly hosed.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
junkman

Post by junkman »

And thanks to the people that been helpfull but some people on here a pure dicks but most of you guys are awsome
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

diymirage wrote:
rbates9 wrote:Your phone may add and delete things but you still have the power of prof reading before sending.

whats prof reading Batesy?
running it by your professor? :lol:
:doh: Thats what you get for posting half in the bag. You skip one o.