Tranny problems?

Got questions? We got answers....
exilestudios

Tranny problems?

Post by exilestudios »

I've been noticing something more and more as I've been riding lately. When I shift up in to 4th or 5th gear it acts almost as if I down shifted. The bike starts reving higher. I'm assuming something is ate up in there, but I wanted to get some opinions on here before I go buying new parts. My guess is it's part of the governor lever that was missing in action a while back, but I didn't have the money at the time to buy a crankcase splitter. So I was stubborn and have kept running it, so that has probably ate at something in there. Either way, I'm saving up the money now to get a fly wheel puller, a crankcase splitter, and a new gearbox. Would this be the thing to do about an issue like this or is there some other suggestion? I'm going to looking over everything thoroughly this time I tear everything down. Whereas, the last time I did I was just in a hurry to get it together and running to see what the bike could do.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Tranny problems?

Post by rbates9 »

Could it be the clutch slipping? When the engine revs higher does it still feel like your in gear or neutral?
exilestudios

Tranny problems?

Post by exilestudios »

rbates9 wrote:Could it be the clutch slipping? When the engine revs higher does it still feel like your in gear or neutral?
I don't think so. When it revs higher it's still feeling like it's in gear and it's pretty consistent. It always does it for that one gear as well. None of the others do it and when it does it if I bump it up another gear it's just fine. So this is why it has lead me to believe perhaps a gear has been ate up or something along those lines. I have heard a metal clanking noise a few times and have been concerned, but have been just hoping it was a rock clinging against something because I mostly just ride the dirt road with it. However, I believe it is that pin that was missing from the governor lever eating away at something down in the tranny. I'm figuring while I have the chance to put some money into it I might as well try to take care of it before it turns into something worse. I would like it to last me all this summer and hopefully much longer, but with the way it is now I don't feel too confident even going for a ride alone with it.

Could the clutch possibly be slipping only in one individual gear? I have all new plates and springs in it and a used basket that was in decent condition. The only thing concerning me with my clutch is that one of the bolts are snapped off in the back pressure plate, so it's running with one bolt less than it should, which is 4 instead of 5 I believe it is in my 89 model. Though I'm not sure if that would effect it too much. That would be one of the things I would take care of during this thorough maintenance I speak of. There's a list of things I need to take care of that I've found after getting to ride the bike and take a closer look at things. Also, now that I've gotten to learn more about the bike itself and how it all functions.

I appreciate the input very much. I just don't want to end up blowing money and finding out it wasn't the problem I thought it was. Thanks.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Tranny problems?

Post by royadams »

Are you getting metal chunks when u change the tranny fluid.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Tranny problems?

Post by KDXGarage »

Since your problem is narrowed to just one or two gears, it is definitely transmission related.

Perhaps your shrapnel has damaged those gears or the shift fork.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
exilestudios

Post by exilestudios »

royadams wrote:Are you getting metal chunks when u change the tranny fluid.
For about two or three oil changes there was speckles of metal in it, but I kept thinking this was perhaps from when I forgot the spacer behind the clutch and it grinded down the washers that hold in the bearing on that side. The last oil change I did, which was last week, didn't appear to have the speckles of metal in it like it did for a while before. I'm beginning to question if the clutch is slipping more and more now. I think I'm going to go for a ride this evening and pay more attention to how it feels when it does it. If I gas it a little when it does it and it accelerates more would this conclude that it's not slipping? I'm trying to figure out how I could truly tell if it is indeed slipping when it happens.

Edit - It's weird...I just went for a ride down to the river and it didn't act up once. I think it might be the clutch slipping occasionally, as if it were tranny damage it would do it all the time wouldn't it?
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

I would think if lost an entire gear there would be big chunks in oil,and a lot of noise . Since you said you are missing a bolt and spring for clutch I would start there. What trans oil are you running. A little specks of oil in trans is not that uncommon if previous owner did not change oil often.
exilestudios

Post by exilestudios »

royadams wrote:I would think if lost an entire gear there would be big chunks in oil,and a lot of noise . Since you said you are missing a bolt and spring for clutch I would start there. What trans oil are you running. A little specks of oil in trans is not that uncommon if previous owner did not change oil often.
I've been running 10w40 in it, but I've read on here before there's something else I should probably be running in it. However, I've been using what I've had access to at the moment. The spring is there, but the bolt is snapped off that would have held tension specifically on that spring. The other bolts are keeping tension on it and in place. I need to figure out a way to get that snapped off bolt out of there otherwise get yet another back pressure plate. Also, I was thinking, should I put washers under the clutch bolts to put more pressure on it? Would that make much difference?
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

U do not want to run regular motor oil in it. I'd drill the bolt out and replace it. Run type f trans fluid or a oil meant for wet clutch use. And see how it goes.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Tranny problems?

Post by rbates9 »

Every time I read the title to this post for some reason it sounds like a REALLY BAD drunken night at a bar. :blink:

I would try some ATF oil in the transmission. Depending on the 10/40 you are using that might be your problem. The broken bolt doesn't help things either.
exilestudios

Tranny problems?

Post by exilestudios »

rbates9 wrote:Every time I read the title to this post for some reason it sounds like a REALLY BAD drunken night at a bar. :blink:

I would try some ATF oil in the transmission. Depending on the 10/40 you are using that might be your problem. The broken bolt doesn't help things either.
Haha. Thanks for the suggestions guys. It's a relief that it's not as major as I thought it might have been. Also, thanks for the good laugh bates :P

Edit - Come to find out it was 10w30 I was running in it and it was just normal motor oil it didn't say for wet clutch use. I have some 10w40 wet clutch in there now until I can get to the store to get some Type F. It already seems to be shifting smoother with the oil I just put in it.