Do SR models have a different cdi box?

Got questions? We got answers....
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Just wondering if the SR models have a different CDI box with a different timing curve then our bikes since they're designed for street use.
Last edited by Roadhazardguy on 11:04 pm May 16 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Roadhazardguy wrote:Just wondering if the SR models have a different CD box with a different timing curve then our bikes since they're designed for street use.
Yes they do!

I have the Australian version of a 1989 KDX200SR - it's called a KDX200F1 - and according to the owners handbook the ignition timing is 17°BTDC @ 1300 rpm ~ 22° BTDC @ 4000 rpm.

The E series ignition timing according to the service manual is fixed at 21° BTDC @ 6000 rpm.

I have fitted the E series CDI to my bike (I had to extend the wiring as the CDI is mounted on top of the air box lid on my bike) but when I checked the timing of both CDI's by strobe light, I couldn't see any real difference in the advance or timing!

It's probably psychological, but I think that my bike goes a bit better now with the E series CDI!

Cheers
Last edited by Dodger on 02:32 am May 17 2013, edited 1 time in total.
I may be old, I may be slow, but hey I'm still getting my leg over - a dirt bike!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Dodger wrote:
Roadhazardguy wrote:Just wondering if the SR models have a different CD box with a different timing curve then our bikes since they're designed for street use.
Yes they do!

I have the Australian version of a 1989 KDX200SR - it's called a KDX200F1 - and according to the owners handbook the ignition timing is 17°BTDC @ 1300 rpm ~ 22° BTDC @ 4000 rpm.

The E series ignition timing according to the service manual is fixed at 21° BTDC @ 6000 rpm.

I have fitted the E series CDI to my bike (I had to extend the wiring as the CDI is mounted on top of the air box lid on my bike) but when I checked the timing of both CDI's by strobe light, I couldn't see any real difference in the advance or timing!

It's probably psychological, but I think that my goes a bit better now with the E series CDI!

Cheers

Thank you for that post, good info there!
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Do SR models have a different cdi box?

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Thanks for the info! I got to wondering this because I want to convert my ATK over to Sumo/Street use, and while doing so I want to get rid of the motoplat stator on my ATK and use a bosch stator from a Can-Am. Then I can rewind it for for better lighting and ignition, so i'm trying to figure out what the best CDI box would be to use. I figured the timing curve might be a deciding factor while picking a box and its looking more and more like it should be, any ideas?
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Roadhazardguy wrote:Thanks for the info! I got to wondering this because I want to convert my ATK over to Sumo/Street use, and while doing so I want to get rid of the motoplat stator on my ATK and use a bosch stator from a Can-Am. Then I can rewind it for for better lighting and ignition, so i'm trying to figure out what the best CDI box would be to use. I figured the timing curve might be a deciding factor while picking a box and its looking more and more like it should be, any ideas?
Sorry but I'm afraid I don't have any ideas!

I've never swapped a CDI from one make of bike to another.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers
I may be old, I may be slow, but hey I'm still getting my leg over - a dirt bike!
Roadhazardguy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Roadhazardguy »

Does anyone have an SR box they want to sell me or something with similar timing curve. That is pretty darn close to what I need if not just a few degrees higher at the bottom with about the same curve.

Edit: Never-mind that wouldn't be right, I misread it. It needs to be pretty much backwards from that. That is a really weird timing curve for a 2 stroke from everything ive seen, and that''s probably why you felt an improvement when you switched.
Tony
1988 KDX 200
1980 KD 80
1989 ATK 406
1984 RM 500
1980 KZ 1300
2008 SM450R
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

There are basically two types of CDIs, one that uses a trigger voltage and one that doesn't. The KDX doesn't. If you want a KDX CDI then you can buy one from me. Here is my page about it: http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/KDXCDI.html
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

Yes you can the E and SR 200 CDI is interchangeable. only difference is the extra wiring on the sr model cdi.
A true KDX customizer!!