Water in Oil, seal replaced. What now?

Got questions? We got answers....
usagi

Post by usagi »

1990 KDX 200. My Oil got very milky, so I replaced the water pump seal. I started it up and it got milky almost immediately. I went ahead and changed the oil, in case it was just leftover from before, but it turned to milk instantly. So my question is: Now what? Could there be something I missed during the install, or another piece that failed? I also put in the secondary seal (I forget the part #) for '91+ so I really doubt that both failed immediately. Any advice is welcome. Even if it's something very simple that I should have noticed, assume that I'm mechanically challenged, because I usually am.
exilestudios

Post by exilestudios »

usagi wrote:1990 KDX 200. My Oil got very milky, so I replaced the water pump seal. I started it up and it got milky almost immediately. I went ahead and changed the oil, in case it was just leftover from before, but it turned to milk instantly. So my question is: Now what? Could there be something I missed during the install, or another piece that failed? I also put in the secondary seal (I forget the part #) for '91+ so I really doubt that both failed immediately. Any advice is welcome. Even if it's something very simple that I should have noticed, assume that I'm mechanically challenged, because I usually am.
Is the impeller snugged pretty tight on the water pump shaft? If it's sort of loose I think you can get some leakage through that. Other than that and the seal I'm at loss for ideas. However, the guys on here who are pro's at this stuff will probably post soon and be able to help you out better.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Water in Oil, seal replaced. What now?

Post by Julien D »

It will likely take several oil changes to get all the water out.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Is your coolant going down?