Maier fender

Got questions? We got answers....
cornishwrecker220

Maier fender

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

carts what do you mean by interest in the brake light?? type of light or how its applied eg switch etc?

john like carts mentiond `day time MOT` no longer exsist as such on the MOT certificate, its only a term given, the law has changed regarding MOT`s ...you will have an advisory section on the new test cert which will say `no lights at time of test` ...so in other words ..day time use only.....other things which can fall into the advisory section is..noisy exhaust, no rear pillion pegs...this doesnt mean your bike has failed its test kind of helps if you get pulled & the copper says `your bikes a bit noisy aint it mate` :grin: ...some MOT stations dont like the battery opperated horns & perfer mechanical so carts was lucky there!
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Maier fender

Post by dude541 »

strange the whole mot thing!
I read for a full mot you have to have a horn that works when the bike is not running, hence I have a battery operated horn.
I have front & rear brake lights using hydraulic switches, and wired them in separately using another regulator so they can be used even with the lights off! (most people tap into the light feed) I was also using a led bulb in my original rear light, now I have the maier rear fender I will be getting something like this..........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370766676118? ... 1423.l2649

alan, have you fitted a reg/rec to yours? as the standard kdx only has a regulator.

a lot of the polisport lights use a 35w/35w bulb, quite a lot of juice on full chat! hence doing the stator rewind, but its not like your sat on high beam all the time, still using halogen it is worth doing the rewind as the guys over the pond have had some great results.
best regards
john
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Maier fender

Post by diymirage »

i just added one of those LEDs to my KDX because i kept popping bulbs (do a bit of off roading with her) and hopefully this will last longer

what size hydraulic switches did you use?
(i take it they replace the banjo bolts?)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
cornishwrecker220

Maier fender

my kdx was imported new from canada in 2003 & registered here in the UK so it has the basic electrical system..the limited number of UK spec kdx`s came with a little more wireing & switch gear ( same as the SR`s ).. i can only see a rectifier on mine...i can turn my headlight off via the handlebar switch but the rear tail light still stays on!...this bugged me for some time as i couldnt work out why it did this...the electrical engineer at work explained that due to its basic charging system the eletrical charge still needs to be discharged somewhere which was probably why the light always stays on..i`m no sparky so i`ve just taken his word for this but i`ve never had a problem with it.. i dont really ride the bike at night on the road but on occasions i have used it for work ( at night ) ive done a few night rides on the moors which is good fun...you think your doing 60mph when in fact you`re only doing 20mph.!! its mad & deffo worth a try :grin:
carts69
Supporting Member

Maier fender

Post by carts69 »

Cornish... what i ment was as long as i have a brake light, im not to bothered about the headlight, as long as the front light works for the mot then it wont get used much after that as i only ride it Sunday afternoons, very rarely at night!
Regarding the noisy exhaust, my tester told me it was pretty noisy but in his word "thats the type of bike it is"
With the battery horn, they are happy with it as the bike has gone through 2 MOTs already with it, even though you can just hear it over the engine.
Im pretty happy with the testing station & feel that anywhere else may start to get a bit picky being the type of bike it is?
Feel pretty confident each time i take it there, they are young lads & im sure... cut a tiny bit of slack, more than an old timer with too much time on his hands & swearing by the book, when i pull up for the test & enter the office i say... here for an MOT on the KDX, last time he said " yeah we heard you coming" :lol: must be loud or something???
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Even funnier....last time the kiddie came out & said.. how do you start this thing, have you got a key or just kick it over :bravo:
cornishwrecker220

Maier fender

yep its good when you get on with your MOT inspector :grin:

my kdx horn sounds like a dieing duck until you rev the bike...then its like a duck on speed! ..i had the horn button stuck on once when i was riding all i could hear was this odd screech so i pulled over but it stopped..rode on a little further..same noise?? WTF ... pulled over ..no noise :hmm: ..this carried on for about a mile or 2 before i finally realized what it was!!.. :oops: :doh:
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

diymirage wrote:i just added one of those LEDs to my KDX because i kept popping bulbs (do a bit of off roading with her) and hopefully this will last longer

what size hydraulic switches did you use?
(i take it they replace the banjo bolts?)
I used this type to save me having to relocate/move stuff etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Hyd ... 43bbdd16d7

best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Maier fender

Post by carts69 »

With all these little problems with MOTs/horns/noisy exhaust etc, surely it would be better to get a sensible road bike..... Nah... i just love it! :lol:
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Maier fender

Post by dude541 »

same as mate,
was never interested in having a bike on the road after doing mx years ago! but will hopefully get the test and register the bike in the near future, it may also sway me to get something else to!

on another note, has anyone ever tried to use a HID kit for there front light?

best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Maier fender

Post by carts69 »

Yeah, even as a youngster i liked the off roaders, seeing them on the common etc! the only road bikes i had in my teens were Kwak AR80 & Rd125LC, decked out with Micron exhaust etc :lol: The passion was always there for the big noisy green machine's
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

thanks for the link John, im gonna try to get a cheaper one that completely replaces the banjo bolt

as for your question on HIDs, not to the best of my knowledge, they would still draw more then the stock stator setup can handle and i dont know how the ballast would hold up during off road use

EDIT these are on ebay claiming to be 35w bulbs for dirtbike us
and at only 14.59 (free shipping this side of the pond) it might be worth a shot ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Bulbs-ATV-D ... 58&vxp=mtr

on RDs, i had a 75 RD250 im still kicking myself for letting it go but i didnt have a motorcycle endorsement at the time and i could not gt the tank clean, it would run for 5 minutes and then foul up the carbs

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I want an RD so bad. A buddy has a nice rd 350 sitting in a barn, but he won't get up off of it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
cornishwrecker220

Maier fender

carts69 wrote:Yeah, even as a youngster i liked the off roaders, seeing them on the common etc! the only road bikes i had in my teens were Kwak AR80 & Rd125LC, decked out with Micron exhaust etc :lol: The passion was always there for the big noisy green machine's
I had an AR80 when i turned 17 ( 1985 ) ..went like stink ..then i had a 21bhp 125lc a few months after...they were the days!...there`s a mag out here called `practical sportsbike` a few months back they did an artical called teenage dreams, growing up on bikes in the 1980`s..cut a long story short i`m in it sporting shoulder length hair skinny faided jeans & white trainers rippin on my LC & another pic of me at 16 on my little er50 ( dont you just love the 1980`s )...i wish i could of kept all my 2 strokes from the 80`s & 90`s they would be & are worth an absolute mint now.. RD 350 LC.. RG 500..RGV 250 :grin: i can still smell the 2 stroke.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

cant remember all the 50s i had (most of them with 70 kits installed anyway) but a few on that list
honda MT (paris dakar version)
honda MTX
suzuki TSX (at one point 3 of em)
FS1 (who made that, yamaha?)
i know there were some kreidlers (spelling) in there as well as zundaphs (again spelling)

somehow thinking of those days 2stroke isnt the only smoke i smell :oops:

carts69
Supporting Member

Maier fender

Post by carts69 »

Hey cornish.... we are all guilty of something from the 80s but long hair :lol: Yes the 80s.... i even had a crosser called a derbi, think it was a 125... can't quite remember?? looked a bit like a faded green kx :hmm: she flew though & slightly too big for me! it was a full on mx bike (not an enduro) Classic!!
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

diymirage wrote:thanks for the link John, im gonna try to get a cheaper one that completely replaces the banjo bolt
I know the type you mean, I went for the type in the link so they could fit behind my handguard (front brake) and on the rear I had no problem with it fouling the fluid holder (banjo type has this issue).

as for your question on HIDs, not to the best of my knowledge, they would still draw more then the stock stator setup can handle and i dont know how the ballast would hold up during off road use

EDIT these are on ebay claiming to be 35w bulbs for dirtbike us
and at only 14.59 (free shipping this side of the pond) it might be worth a shot ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Bulbs-ATV-D ... 58&vxp=mtr
]
I was thinking about something like this.............

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200726979738? ... 1423.l2649

yes it is a ballast type, but twin element for high and low beam, just need to ask a few questions before buying, mainly if it is a 35w draw with both elements lit, if so a rewound stator should cope ok with it, especially with the led rear.

most aftermarket headlights I have seen use the h4, but have 35w/35w halogen bulbs, 70w with both elements lit!

I only plan to use this on the road with my motard wheels, when off roading I will probably remove the headlight and use a number board.

as for the led rear I listed in a previous post, it arrived today, tried it on a battery just to test it, and I am impressed! get it mounted to the fender now to try out :grin: after I purchased mine they put the price up by another £10! good timing!

the FS1 is a Yamaha, well known over here as the FIZZA! :grin:

best regards
john
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Maier fender

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Hey cornish.... we are all guilty of something from the 80s but long hair :lol: Yes the 80s.... i even had a crosser called a derbi, think it was a 125... can't quite remember?? looked a bit like a faded green kx :hmm: she flew though & slightly too big for me! it was a full on mx bike (not an enduro) Classic!!
I am afraid that in the 80s I was into the glam/hair metal scene, with very long hair!
still love the music, but my hair is much shorter now! :lol:

best regards
john
ced64k
Supporting Member

Post by ced64k »

I received my Maier mx fender today. Maybe it's just me but I'm little bit dissapointed by the poor fitting of this product. I already knew before my order that the back of the frame is visible. But with the high price (3 times the price of a modern bike rear fender) I hoped at least a fender that fit exactly the KDX frame, like the original fender. I even looked at the packaging to see whether if it was the right model. I took me 1/2 hour to "insert" it in the frame. I realized at the end that it was necessary to force some places. So now I have a brand new fender with scratch and "white" plastics where it bent too strong. Hoppefully not on the visible parts.

Otherwise the rest is nice, good quality plastics, nice look, etc. Anyway Maier fender is the only option, so… :)
dougt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dougt »

I found it was tight fitting as well. I used a heat gun to soften the plastic and it went in a lot easier.