Cooling question

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Cooling question

Post by SS109 »

Did some serious hike-a-bike today in San Manuel, AZ and caused my bike to over heat a few times. Anyways, I get back to the staging area and check my bike and I see my sight glass is fogged over with moisture. Now, as most know, I rebuilt this bike completely almost one year ago with a brand new water pump shaft, bearing, and seal.

My question, have any of you experienced water getting into your trans after overheating it? I just really can't believe that the seal went in less than a year.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Thrahl

Re: Cooling question

Post by Thrahl »

My sight glass fogs up after most rides and I also just replaced the pump seal less than 20 hrs ago. I always just assumed it fogged from the Florida humidity coming in through the breather because if there is a seal leak it isn't bad enough to see any color change in the oil. I didn't know that wasn't normal :shock:
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cooling question

Post by pumpguy »

I can't make any specific comments about the KDX water pump and shaft seal because I haven't been into mine as yet.

But speaking as someone who has worked in the pump trade for decades, I have a problem with the seal installation instructions in the manual. The diagram shows a press tool in contact with the seal's carbon face when pressing it into place.

THIS IS A DEFINITE NO-NO. You want to avoid contact with the carbon and ceramic contact faces of the seal if at all possible. These are precision lapped surfaces and even minute scratches, especially to the soft carbon face, can cause leakage.

A better arrangement would be to use a piece of tube and press against the metal cup that surrounds the seal's spring. If you must press against the contact faces, and for the ceramic part, you will, use a piece of clean soft paper card stock or something similar.

Just be sure these contact faces are spotlessly clean before you assemble the pump.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Cooling question

Post by Slick_Nick »

Mine gets foggy after I wash the bike until it heats up the first time. Nothing to worry about bud. If it were a leaky water pump seal your oil (even ATF) would be milky.
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Cooling question

Post by SS109 »

Thanks, Nick! I still haven't drained it out (yeah, I know) to check. Maybe I can get that done tomorrow.
'11 GasGas EC250R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Cooling question

Post by Slick_Nick »

The sight glass is dual layered I think it fogs up in between. At least mine does. Bet you that's all it is. You can replace it if you feel ambitious, it just presses in and out.
'00 KDX 220R
KDXrider1989

Re: Cooling question

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I remember replacing the water pump seal on my KDX and the sight glass still fogged up after my 2nd ride. It's been nearly 2 years since I replaced that seal, and the sight glass still fogs up usually after hard rides. But not once was my trans oil milky, or did the coolant level in the radiators change. I think you're good :cool:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Cooling question

Post by SS109 »

I finally drained the trans oil today. I didn't see even a hint of water in it. I guess I'll just refill it and ride!
'11 GasGas EC250R