E series - EFM Auto Clutch install concern!

Got questions? We got answers....
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Well I finally did it and got myself an EFM auto clutch for my 1989 KDX, a bike I have owned since new.

I didn't want to send my original clutch to EFM as my clutch is in very good order and I wanted to keep it complete. I therefore sourced a used clutch for '94 KDX off Ebay and had it sent it to EFM for modifying. ( the part nos for a '94 are the same as a '89 by the way)

Anyway, the EFM clutch unit arrived the other day so naturally I was keen to install and try it! However the clutch cover spacer and gasket that EFM sent were for the H series and not the E series :mad: so of course I can't complete the installation until I have the correct spacer! Garry at EFM is on the case and is getting the correct spacer manufactured by Cometic as he doesn't have any himself. I now have to bide my time until I can see if the EFM clutch lives up to its reputation!

In the meantime I have gone ahead and started to fit the EFM clutch to my bike. However when I turn over the engine with the s/hand clutch basket installed there is now a "noise" that seems to be coming from the primary gear/clutch basket gear area. This "noise" isn't there with the original clutch fitted.

The "noise" is just like this: http://www.youtube.com/v/YmAgpaaYtI0

Obviously I don't have the cases split as in the video, but it's the same "noise" that I can hear through the engine cover. And as I said previously, it only happens when the '94 basket is fitted!

Any ideas on what might be the cause of this "noise"?

Could it be due to the gear on the clutch basket coming from a different bike and the gear has different wear characteristics?

Is it a cause for concern?

Cheers.
I may be old, I may be slow, but hey I'm still getting my leg over - a dirt bike!
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: E series - EFM Auto Clutch install concern!

Post by royadams »

Is the noise not there with the entire old clutch installed or is just the basket. I noticed with mine its a little wobbly now without there being any spring load on the basket. Maybe you have something similar going on. As far as the spacer he had me send the outer cover to have comitec make the spacer. New baskets are not available for the 250 so I'm going to try a new bearing and sleeve and hope it helps. I'm shure you will love the auto clutch once you get it all sorted out.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

What did EFM say about the noise?
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Could it be due to the gear on the clutch basket coming from a different bike and the gear has different wear characteristics?

I think you might be on the right track with your above assessment.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Thanks for the replies but I have found out what the problem is!

My bike is actually a SR model not an E series and although the two versions of the bike share many common parts including the clutch plates, and the primary gear ratio is the same, the actual gears themselves on the SR model are of a different profile – hence the noise! The E series teeth are shorter and the valley between the teeth is wider. And I can’t even swap over the primary gear on the crankshaft as on the SR it is located by a woodruff key whereas on the E series it is located on splines!

I found this post which pointed me in the right direction: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=13298

A lesson learnt - I guess I should’ve done more research before getting an E series clutch basket modified by EFM!

I’ll now have to find a SR model clutch basket and send it to EFM for machining as I want to keep my original clutch.

Cheers
I may be old, I may be slow, but hey I'm still getting my leg over - a dirt bike!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Well that just sucks... But at least you know now.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Dodger wrote:Thanks for the replies but I have found out what the problem is!

My bike is actually a SR model not an E series and although the two versions of the bike share many common parts including the clutch plates, and the primary gear ratio is the same, the actual gears themselves on the SR model are of a different profile – hence the noise! The E series teeth are shorter and the valley between the teeth is wider. And I can’t even swap over the primary gear on the crankshaft as on the SR it is located by a woodruff key whereas on the E series it is located on splines!

I found this post which pointed me in the right direction: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=13298

A lesson learnt - I guess I should’ve done more research before getting an E series clutch basket modified by EFM!

I’ll now have to find a SR model clutch basket and send it to EFM for machining as I want to keep my original clutch.

Cheers
OK - I've found a KDX200SR clutch basket and it is now on the way to EFM for machining.

Garry at EFM said he won't charge me for the machining of this basket even though I stuffed up originally - now that's what I call service!

Cheers.