how do i take aprt the kips or power valve

Got questions? We got answers....
junkman

Post by junkman »

ok so im new to the bord this place is great but any ways i have a 89 kdx 200 when i got it the guy blew it up had no compression but the cylinder has to chunks taken out of it so i bought a new sleeve and piston rings etc.. so im pretty sure i got to strip the jug so my guy can push the sleeve in so right now im to i cant get the rod and the 2 gears out of the jug help me out PLLLZZZZ thanks :sad:
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: how do i take aprt the kips or power valve

Post by royadams »

Its best to buy the manual. There is a link for a online one on front page. It would be worth the 20 or so bucks
junkman

Post by junkman »

ok.. i will but any suggestions
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

I've got a 250 so I won't be much help
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

It's a fairly involved procedure, several little bits to remove and in a certain order, so a manual really is a must if you plan to ever get it reassembled correctly. The quick and dirty follows, and I am in no way responsible if you diddlescrew anything up.
Remove the main exhaust valve cover located above the exhaust port using an 8 mm wrench. Remove the three bolts that secure the shaft advancer cover on the right side to the cylinder using an 8 mm wrench. Remove the shaft lever nut using a 10 mm wrench. It has left handed threads. Repeat, left handed threads. Remove the exhaust valve operating rod retaining screw. Pull out on the exhaust valve operating rod until it stops. Pull out the main exhaust valve until the machined groove in it lines up with the gasket surface for the cover. Pull out the idler gear, it's the one farthest to the right. Pull both of the exhaust valves upwards until the top of the gears are aligned with the head gasket surface. While the exhaust valves are held in this position, remove the exhaust valve operating rod from the engine. Remove the two exhaust valves.

Pictures help a lot (cyclepedia manual has good ones)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

When removing the LEFT HAND NUT don't forget to support the shaft or you will also be pulling the clutch cover.
junkman

Post by junkman »

ok thanks guys I brought it to my guy that does the machining and its done today but I didn't get far into taking the kips out he said he would do it so now I gto to rember how to put it back togather :roll: and also my next ? is how do I set the timing on it ughhhh this is going to be a BLAST :doh: :doh: