swingarm brg sleeeve

Got questions? We got answers....
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

swingarm brg sleeeve

Post by pumpguy »

I noticed one of the needle bearings and mating sleeve is corroded and contacted dealers for replacement. Sleeve P/N is 42036-1056. THEY TELL ME IT'S DISCONTINUED! Anybody know if these are available from other sources? I would rather buy the needle bearing and sleeve from one source if possible.

Thanks
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

swingarm brg sleeeve

Post by turtle »

What year of bike? Generally, there are plenty of aftermarket suppliers like pivot works, all balls, etc. check out rocky mountain atv.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: swingarm brg sleeeve

Post by pumpguy »

Yes, I know about aftermarket suppliers. It's a 97 220. I just couldn't imagine Kaw made it obsolete.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Sleeve dimensions are 15 x 20x 41.8. Pivot works is showing one @ $8.95 ea.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The reason it's discontinued is because they quit making KDXs in '06 and this part was only used on KDX's (and the '82 KX125/250). The only OEM parts you will find that are current are those that are used on currently produced models. It is still widely available from most parts warehouses (Motosport has them for $17.74 each). All Balls sells the swingarm bearing kit for $47 and it includes both sleeves, all 4 bearings and all 4 seals. Likely its also available on Ebay for slightly less.

If you're going to replace one, you should do them all, especially if you're seeing corrosion. You'd have to press both of them out of one side to replace just one anyway, I wouldn't do all that work just to stick an old bearing in with a new one my .02
ICRage42
Supporting Member

swingarm brg sleeeve

Post by ICRage42 »

omg im gonna make a poster child post for this from my own behalf :lol:

if you wait Im in the process of making a tutorial of different ways to do it. My 200 was a .....antique of mud and mx abuse. But the suspension was shot and well replacing all to get the good stuff again.

Did one side and well **** came down for me and well came up with some good alternatives to achieve the same effect with good results.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

pumpguy wrote:Yes, I know about aftermarket suppliers. It's a 97 220. I just couldn't imagine Kaw made it obsolete.
You asked about other sources. I assumed you meant other than Kaw, so just trying to answer the question asked.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

swingarm brg sleeeve

Post by pumpguy »

Sorry, I kind of panicked when I found out Kaw discontinued the brg sleeve. I see Ron Ayers lists the parts on his website, but I'll have to wait until Monday to learn if he actually has them. I'll also check with my industrial bearings supplier to see if they can supply something close. To ICRage, thanks for your reply. I'm looking forward to your tutorial.
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

swingarm brg sleeeve

Post by turtle »

pumpguy wrote:Sorry, I kind of panicked when I found out Kaw discontinued the brg sleeve. I see Ron Ayers lists the parts on his website, but I'll have to wait until Monday to learn if he actually has them. I'll also check with my industrial bearings supplier to see if they can supply something close. To ICRage, thanks for your reply. I'm looking forward to your tutorial.
No worries. So where is Spring Grove IL at?
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

swingarm brg sleeeve

Post by pumpguy »

Looks like Ron Ayers doesn't sell aftermarket bearings. He says discontinued, not available. Looks like I'll be going with Pivot Works.

I should add that my local dealer didn't have the sleeve, but did give me a list of dealers showing this part in their inventory. That was nice of him and I appreciate that service.

Spring Grove is in northeastern Illinois, north of Fox Lake, west of Antioch, and south of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

That sleeve comes with the aftermarket bearing kits, just so you don't go ordering it separately