Side cover got hole

Got questions? We got answers....
terminatr

Side cover got hole

Post by terminatr »

My side cover got a big hole. Size of a grape fruit. Was carry too much weight in the soft saddle bag. The muffler melt the plastic. What can I do to fix the hole? I really don't want to spend $70 for a new OEM plastic.
2001 KDX220
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Side cover got hole

Post by diymirage »

if i were you i'd keep and eye out in the for sale section

there are several members right now who are parting out complete bikes (cant guess on your year or model) and im sure you could find an affordable replacement there

the bigger question is...what are you going to do to prevent this from happening again ?
are you running the stock muffler?
if so, you may just be able to tack a few spacers onto it, something for the side cover to rest on other than the actual muffler
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
terminatr

Post by terminatr »

diymirage wrote:he bigger question is...what are you going to do to prevent this from happening again ?
are you running the stock muffler?
if so, you may just be able to tack a few spacers onto it, something for the side cover to rest on other than the actual muffler
I've used the saddle bags on a half dozen trips with no issue. Not sure why all of a sudden, there is this problem.

I notice on my KLX 300, the muffler has two metal standoff brackets with a rubber padding to keep the side cover from touching the muffler. But the KDX don't have these. I guess 2-stroke mufflers are not as hot. I ought to be able to easily copy that design. Just weld it.
2001 KDX220
Thrahl

Post by Thrahl »

You probably could plastic weld it with a soldering iron and a piece of filler plastic (there are videos on youtube about it) but I probably wouldn't waste my time with that.
KX500 panels are direct bolt on (atleast for an E series, idk about the H's) and can be had fairly cheap. Here is one on eBay now for $25 shipped (assuming you are in the US). If you're patient you can pick them up even cheaper.

But if you are dead set on fixing it rather than replacing it, plastic welding should do the trick. You just won't ever want to take the saddlebag off again because it is most likely going to be very ugly. :mrgreen:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

half a dozen trips doesnt sound like a ton off use...it might have been an issue from the start which took a few rides to melt all the way through

sounds like the KLX would be a good idea to copy
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Side cover got hole

Post by turtle »

Ebay might be an idea to source new/used side covers. I got a brand new pair for $40.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
sarrant

Side cover got hole

Post by sarrant »

Foil tape on the back of the sidepanels near hot parts works fine to reflect heat, too.