Help with crankshaft assembly

Got questions? We got answers....
Klxkdxrider

Post by Klxkdxrider »

Hi all,

I've never split a,case before this rebuild of a 93 kdx200 that I got for pretty much free a year ago. Well I installed new seals and bearings using the heat and freeze method. It seemed to go pretty well. I had a local shop press the shaft into one side of the case and this evening I placed the transmission and the other half of the case. The rod and crank assembly don't seem to turn as freely as I remember them turning before I split the case. How freely should it turn in fresh seals and bearings? If I turn the case upside down should the rod swing down and the assembly rotate freely? Thanks!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Help with crankshaft assembly

Post by Julien D »

It will have a bit of resistance with the new bearings and seals, but it should not be stiff. Is the crank centered between the case halves, or is it rubbing on one side or the other?
Klxkdxrider

Post by Klxkdxrider »

It looks centered. I can move it with two fingers so, from what your saying I think it should be okay. Any risk to the engine to just go ahead and put it together and run it? Or should I have someone look at it?
Klxkdxrider

Post by Klxkdxrider »

Thanks very much for the advice BTW. I love this site!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

As long as it turns smoothly, with no catching, a small amount of resistance should be expected with all new bearings and seals. Once the 2t oil works in there it should loosen up. I hate to give definitive advice without seeing something in person, but I think you'll be safe to seal her up and break it in.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I like to dump a bit of 2 stroke oil right in the bottom end and work it into the bearings before I put the top end back on. It helps with the first start up.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

You had a shop "press" the crank into the bearings??? This leads me to believe your crank is now out of plumb and that's where the resistance is coming from.
'00 KDX 220R
Klxkdxrider

Post by Klxkdxrider »

Thanks for all the advice! I put it all back together and after a few missteps and backtracking I've got it all working great. I still have to put new plastics on it and replace the front brake pads. Once it's done I'll post some pics, it should look pretty sweet! Taking her out to Moab in a couple of weeks; I can't frick'n wait!!