New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Got questions? We got answers....
Chaz955i

New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by Chaz955i »

Very nice. I just picked up an 04 220 about a month ago and got my first trail ride in today. Talk about feeling silly after years of trying to use motocross bikes as trail bikes. This thing is a tank and really has a ton of grunt for only 220 cc's. Great bikes, too bad they couldn't sell enough to keep making them.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by rbates9 »

I think it had more to do with the phasing out of the 2 strokes then just the sales that led to the end of the KDX. If it was just the sales they could have kept making them. They didn't have any cost in research and development to cover. Just parts and materials. They did go eleven years on the last KDX, what would it have hurt or cost them to go a few more? The KX died around the same time from the four stroke craze.
freds4

Re: New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by freds4 »

OK another question for the KDX gurus. When I took the bike apart I noticed that the taillight wires from the light didn't match the colors of the ones they plugged in to but I thought I could remember which went where; I was wrong. Why don't they match? What color goes to what color? For now I have just left them unplugged because I don't want to damage the bulb.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by diymirage »

it is an AC system (provided your bike has not had a rectifier installed for street legal use) and so it really doesnt mather
what is the positive wire one second becomes the negative wire the next (and it does it hundreds of times per second)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Chaz955i

New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by Chaz955i »

rbates9 wrote:I think it had more to do with the phasing out of the 2 strokes then just the sales that led to the end of the KDX. If it was just the sales they could have kept making them. They didn't have any cost in research and development to cover. Just parts and materials. They did go eleven years on the last KDX, what would it have hurt or cost them to go a few more? The KX died around the same time from the four stroke craze.
You are probably right, I didn't really think about the timing. Not sure how long the tooling lasts but my guess is that platform paid for itself years before being retired. I'm just happy to have one and wish I would have given one a chance years ago rather than trying to adapt MX bikes into playbikes. Better late than never I suppose. :lol:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

New Guy w/2005 KDX200

Post by KDXGarage »

The reason there is no more KDX is because of the EPA. Search the forum for old posts from the 2006 time frame. KX two-strokes being discontinued had nothing to do with the EPA. Just go to a local MX track and see how many 2-strokes you see.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128